Strowbridge's Dagger Sends Hustle to Conference Semifinals
Stockton, Calif. - Jay-R Strowbridge knocked down a three-pointer for his first field goal of the game with 1.9 seconds left to give the Memphis Hustle a 122-119 win over the Stockton Kings Wednesday night. The win advances the Hustle to the Western Conference Semifinals where the team will face the top seed Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Friday, March 29 at 7 p.m. CT on Facebook Live at Bert Ogden Arena.
The Hustle led 106-88 with 8:22 remaining in the game before Stockton scored 17 unanswered points and went on a 22-2 run over the next 4:36 to take a 110-108 lead. The game was tied at 115-115 with 2:21 left when Kyle Casey scored four unanswered points to give Memphis a 119-115 lead with 1:08 to go. However, the Kings would tie it up with 25.4 seconds left before Strowbridge's game-winner.
Memphis held a 62-55 lead at halftime despite Stockton opening the game on a 14-2 run. The Hustle charged back with an 18-6 spurt of their own that included a couple of big three-pointers by Markel Crawford and a traditional three-point play from LaQuinton Ross to cut the Kings' lead to 23-20. Stockton led 28-24 at the end of the opening frame. The Kings opened the second quarter with six straight points before Memphis went on a 10-0 run to tie the game at 34-34, pushing the lead to seven by halftime.
Crawford led the Hustle effort with 28 points, six boards, six assists and two steals. Dusty Hannahs was close behind with 26 points, knocking down 4-of-7 three-point attempts and all six free throw attempts. Hannahs led the NBA G League in free throw percentage this season. Two-way player Yuta Watanabe added 23 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Kyle Casey posted 15 points, five rebounds and four assists with two blocked shots. Nino Johnson (10 points, 13 rebounds) had a double-double off the bench and recorded eight points and 10 rebounds by halftime.
Former Memphis Grizzlies forward Troy Williams led all scorers with 33 points, shooting 10-of-19 from the field (6-12 3P). Kings assignee Caleb Swanigan posted a double-double of 14 points and a game-high 17 rebounds. Fellow Kings assignee Cody Demps had a productive line of 19 points, eight rebounds, seven assists, three steals and three blocks. Matt Jones added 21 points of his own.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 28, 2019
- Memphis Hustle to Host Hustle Budweiser Watch Party for Friday's Playoff Game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Southaven - Memphis Hustle
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award - Lakeland Magic
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award - G League
- Kings Recall Cody Demps and Caleb Swanigan from the Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Stockton Kings Fall to Memphis Hustle in Thriller to End Inaugural Season - Stockton Kings
- Strowbridge's Dagger Sends Hustle to Conference Semifinals - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Guard Tarik Phillip Signs with Washington Wizards
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Dusty Hannahs to 10-Day Contract
- Rio Grande Valley Gets Red-Hot from Three-Point Range to Eliminate Hustle from G League Playoffs
- Memphis Hustle to Host Hustle Budweiser Watch Party for Friday's Playoff Game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Southaven
- Strowbridge's Dagger Sends Hustle to Conference Semifinals