Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award
NEW YORK - Lakeland Magic guard Gabe York has received the 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award, as voted on by all NBA G League players. The award honors the player who best represents the ideals of character and conduct on the court and in the community.
York played an integral role in the Magic's community events during the season. As part of his efforts, he helped build a home for a family in need and visited elementary school students throughout Polk County, Fla.
In his second season in the NBA G League, York (6-3, 190, Arizona) averaged 16.4 points, 3.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 41 games. He scored in double figures 34 times, including a season-high 34 points against the Erie BayHawks on Dec. 28.
York spent last season with the German club Medi Bayreuth, where he averaged a team-high 14.2 points in 37 games. He played the 2016-17 season with the BayHawks and then helped the Los Angeles Lakers win the 2017 MGM Resorts NBA Summer League championship. York had a four-year collegiate career at the University of Arizona, where he teamed with current Orlando Magic player Aaron Gordon.
The Sportsmanship Award honors former NBA G League, Houston Rockets and Atlanta Hawks center Jason Collier, who passed away suddenly on Oct. 15, 2005. Collier, a 2003-04 All-NBA G League First Team selection as a member of the Fayetteville Patriots, was a player and person who exemplified the qualities of a faithful teammate, husband, father, son, brother and friend. He was preparing to begin his sixth NBA season at the time of his death.
Each NBA G League team nominated one player for the Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award. Erie's Jordan Sibert, who earned a GATORADE Call-Up to the Atlanta Hawks, finished second. The South Bay Lakers' Andre Ingram and the Austin Spurs' Jordan Green tied for third.
York will be presented with the award tomorrow before Lakeland hosts the Westchester Knicks in the Eastern Conference Semifinals at RP Funding Center (7 p.m. ET, Twitch).
Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award Winners
2018-19: Gabe York (Lakeland Magic)
2017-18: C.J. Williams (Agua Caliente Clippers)
2016-17: Keith Wright (Westchester Knicks)
2015-16: Scott Suggs (Raptors 905)
2014-15: Renaldo Major (Bakersfield Jam)
2013-14: Ron Howard (Fort Wayne Mad Ants)
2012-13: Ron Howard (Fort Wayne Mad Ants)
2011-12: Moses Ehambe (Iowa Energy)
2010-11: Larry Owens (Tulsa 66ers)
2009-10: Andre Ingram (Utah Flash)
2008-09: Will Conroy (Albuquerque Thunderbirds)
2007-08: Billy Thomas (Colorado 14ers)
2007-08: Roger Powell (Arkansas RimRockers)
2006-07: Ime Udoka (Fort Worth Flyers)
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 28, 2019
- Memphis Hustle to Host Hustle Budweiser Watch Party for Friday's Playoff Game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Southaven - Memphis Hustle
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award - Lakeland Magic
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award - G League
- Kings Recall Cody Demps and Caleb Swanigan from the Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Stockton Kings Fall to Memphis Hustle in Thriller to End Inaugural Season - Stockton Kings
- Strowbridge's Dagger Sends Hustle to Conference Semifinals - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- 400+ Local Students Participate in Magic 863 Reading Program
- Lakeland Magic Forward Amile Jefferson Named to All-NBA G League Third Team
- Lakeland Secures Appearance in Eastern Conference Finals
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award
- Lakeland Secures Round One Bye and Home Game in NBA G League Playoffs