Storylines | City vs. Houston Dynamo
Orlando City captain Nani recorded his third brace of the season on Saturday against New England, finding the back of the net in the 22nd and 54th minutes respectively for his second and third finishes in the Lions' last two matches. Nani was involved in all three of the Lions' finishes on the evening, registering the assist on Dom Dwyer's goal in the 47th. The Portuguese midfielder leads the Lions with 12 goals and nine assists this season, remaining on pace to become the first player in Club history to finish out the season leading in both statistical categories.
The Lions close out their matches against the Western Conference this season with the Dynamo sitting as their last interconference matchup of the 2019 regular season. In their previous 11 matches against the West, the Lions hold a 4-4-3 record. Three of City's seven shutouts this season have come against Western Conference opponents with a 1-0 win against Vancouver on April 20, a 2-0 victory over FC Dallas on August 3 and a 1-0 clean sheet on August 14 against Sporting Kansas City.
City forward Dom Dwyer scored the second goal of the evening for City on Saturday, flicking home a cross from Nani into the far post from the right side of the area. The finish served as Dwyer's sixth goal of the 2019 season, trailing only Nani and Tesho Akindele on the squad. Newcomer Mauricio Pereyra also registered a goal contribution on Saturday, his first for the Lions since signing with the Club on July 30, accounting for the assist on Nani's first goal of the night.
Last Time Against the Dynamo...
The last time the Lions faced the Dynamo, the two sides battled to a scoreless draw on Sept. 22, 2018 in Orlando. That match served as the MLS debut for Orlando City goalkeeper Adam Grinwis, who registered three saves in his first career shutout. City holds a 1-1-2 record against Houston in its history, with their victory coming on the road in the Club's inaugural MLS season in 2015 on March 13 of that year, serving as the first victory for Orlando City in the MLS era.
Nani is one assist away from tying the Club's single-season record of 10, held by both former Lions Kaka (2016) and Yoshi Yotún (2018).
Dom Dwyer is one goal away from tying Kaka (24) for second all-time in Club history.
Goalkeeper Brian Rowe is five saves away from 100 as a Lion.
Chris Mueller is one start away from his 40th for City.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 21, 2019
- Revolution Play Real Salt Lake to Scoreless Draw on #KickChildhoodCancer Night - New England Revolution
- Postgame Note: Sporting Kansas City 2, Colorado Rapids 3 - Colorado Rapids
- Sunil Gulati and Abby Wambach Enshrined in National Soccer Hall of Fame - FC Dallas
- Montero scores late again as 'Caps draw 1-1 vs. Columbus Crew SC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Late Goals Drop Short-Handed Earthquakes at Atlanta - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Defeats San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Portland Timbers Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Storylines | City vs. Houston Dynamo - Orlando City SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at D.C. United - September 22, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Host Orlando City SC for Soccer Kicks Cancer Night - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.