Storm's Gordeev Signs with Wild
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Minnesota Wild General Manager Paul Fenton today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has acquired the rights to defenseman Fedor Gordeev from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a conditional seventh round selection in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. The Wild announced later on Thursday afternoon that they've signed Gordeev to a three-year entry level NHL contract.
Gordeev, 20 (1/27/99), recorded 32 points (7-25=32) and 79 penalty minutes (PIM) in 63 games in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) during the 2018-19 season. The 6-foot-7, 224-pound native of Omsk, Russia, set career highs in assists and points. He notched 19 points (3-16=19) and 49 PIM in 32 games with the Flint Firebirds before being traded to the Guelph Storm in January. Gordeev collected 13 points (4-9=13), 30 PIM and a plus-21 rating in 31 contests with the Storm. He tallied three points (2-1=3) and 21 PIM in 23 playoff games to help Guelph win an OHL Championship. Guelph lost to Rouyn-Noranda in the Memorial Cup Semi-Final.
Gordeev collected 73 points (19-54=73), 232 PIM and 401 shots on goal during four seasons in the OHL with Hamilton, Flint and Guelph (2015-19). He was selected by Toronto in the fifth round (141st overall) of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from May 31, 2019
- Storm's Gordeev Signs with Wild - Guelph Storm
- Cameron Snow Commits to Niagara IceDogs - Niagara IceDogs
- Kavanagh and Patey Commit to Peterborough Petes - Peterborough Petes
- London Knights Sign Priority Selections - London Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Guelph Storm Stories
- Has Attending Czech National Junior Team Selection Camp
- Storm Acquire Picks from Firebirds
- Third Round Pick Ryan McGuire Commits to Storm
- Storm's Hillis Inspired to Share His Love of the Game with Others
- Storm's Nico Daws Named Inaugural Recipient of Jim Rutherford Trophy as OHL Goaltender of the Year