Storm Stop Lancers in Shootout
RALSTON, NE - It was a battle for the top spot.
The Omaha Lancers faced the Tri-City Storm Sunday. This was the sixth time the Lancers and Storm have faced each other. Omaha has taken the win in three of the five previous meetups. The Lancers called on Vinnie Purpura to play between the pipes. Purpura comes into the game with a 2.10 GAA and a .922 SV%. Omaha opened up the scoring early in the first period. Filip Suchy scored on Filip Larsson just 2:02 into the period. Omaha held onto the 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
In the second period, Tri-City broke the tie with a goal from Keaton Pehrson. Tri-City capitalized again, this time on the power play. Brian Hawkinson scored by batting the puck mid-air into the net on Vinnie Purpura. The Storm held the 2-1 lead into the second intermission. The Lancers tied up the game early in the third period. Filip Suchy got the goal from a backhand shot on Larsson. The rest of the period was scoreless and overtime was forced.
After a scoreless overtime period, the game went into a shootout. After five shooters for each team went, Filip Forsmark stepped up and scored for Tri-City. Mathieu De St Phalle was the sixth shooter for Omaha but was robbed by the pipe. Tri-City took the 3-2 win after the shootout. Vinnie Purpura stopped 25 of the 27 shots he faced.
The Lancers improve to 21-10-2-1 and now have 45 points in the Western Conference. Omaha now sits at second place in the West and third in the USHL. The series between Omaha and Tri-City is now even as both teams have three wins.
What's Next: Lancers: Face the Central Illinois Flying Aces Friday, February, 2nd at Ralston Arena. (7:05 p.m. CT; News Talk 1290 AM, Hockey TV).
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 29, 2018
- RELEASE -- Stars Host Sioux City on Taco Tuesday - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Storylines - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Defeat Lancers 3-2 in a Shootout - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Stop Lancers in Shootout - Omaha Lancers
- LUMBERJACKS BATTLE PAST STEEL 5-4 SUNDAY - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Sweep Weekend Road Swing with OT Win in Waterloo - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Recap: Stampede Elude Hawks in Overtime - Waterloo Black Hawks
- PHANTOMS' DEFENSE HOLDS STRONG AS SAINTS FALL SHORT - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- PROSVETOV, POWER PLAY, AND PENALTY KILL PROPEL PHANTOMS TO 2-1 WIN - Youngstown Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.