Storm Acquire Picks from Rangers in Exchange for Liam Hawel
GUELPH - Guelph Storm General Manager and Head Coach, George Burnett, has announced that the Storm have acquired a 2nd round pick (GUE) in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection and a 2nd (SUD) and 3rd (MISS) round pick in 2023 from the Kitchener Rangers for overage forward Liam Hawel.
Hawel, a 6'4", 195-pound forward from Arnprior Ontario was a first round selection by the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds back in 2015. He came to the Storm in a trade with the Greyhounds in January, 2016. Recently returned from the Montreal Canadiens training camp, Hawel was invited as a free agent.
The 20 year old was an instrumental part of the Storm's 2019 OHL Championship recording 13 points in 24 games, including two game winning goals. Over the course of his career, Hawel has scored 64 goals with 98 assists for 162 points.
"Liam has been an important part of this team and our Championship last year," said Burnett. "It was a difficult decision to make, but the right decision for Liam and our club at this time."
The Storm would like to thank Liam and his family for their support and dedication over the past three years. We wish Liam the best of luck in the future.
Weight: 195 lbs
Hometown: Arnprior, ON
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from September 17, 2019
- Steelheads Announce 2019-20 Leadership Group - Mississauga Steelheads
- Storm Acquire Picks from Rangers in Exchange for Liam Hawel - Guelph Storm
- Rangers and Storm Complete Trade - Kitchener Rangers
- Concentrix Announced as Presenting Sponsor for the Oshawa Generals Street Fest - Oshawa Generals
- OHL 20 in 20 Season Preview: London Knights - London Knights
- Niagara IceDogs Hockey Returns this Week - Niagara IceDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.