Sting Add Franky Palazzese as Goaltending Coach
SARNIA, ON - Sarnia Sting General Manager Nick Sinclair announced today that the team has hired Franky Palazzese, who will serve as the new Goaltending Coach for the Ontario Hockey League franchise.
Palazzese brings a wealth of experience to the position having played in the OHL for five seasons between 2009 and 2014. The Toronto native suited up for three teams during his time in the league beginning with the Kingston Frontenacs, which drafted him in the fourth round of the 2009 OHL Priority Selection. From there, he also played for the Kitchener Rangers and Sudbury Wolves compiling 71 wins in the Ontario Hockey League, including two seasons with at least 20 or more wins.
Palazzese also played professionally for the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL and the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins of the AHL. This past season he served as the Goaltending Coach for the University of Toronto, along with operating a goalie school in the GTA.
Palazzese says he is pleased to once again be associated with the league where he played his junior hockey.
"I would like to thank Nick Sinclair and the Sarnia Sting organization for this tremendous opportunity. I am very excited to be back in the Ontario Hockey League and to have the opportunity to work with such experienced staff. I look forward to being able to share my knowledge with the goalies and help contribute to a successful season ahead!"
Sinclair believes Palazzese will be a key piece for the Sarnia Sting organization.
"I am very excited that we have been able to hire Franky to our staff. Having recently retired from the pro game his ability to relate and guide our goaltenders will be instrumental in their development going forward."
"As we went through the evaluation process, Franky's name was one that continued to be pushed forward as one of the top up and coming goaltending instructors around. His passion for the game, work ethic, and attention to detail are key elements in his make up that will serve him well in this position."
"I would officially like to welcome Franky to the club on behalf of the entire organization."
The Sting will open up their 2019-20 season training camp on Tuesday, August 27th at Progressive Auto Sales Arena before suiting up against the London Knights in a home and home set beginning Friday, August 30th at Budweiser Gardens. The two teams will then meet in Sarnia on Saturday, August 31st at 7:00 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Sting Add Franky Palazzese as Goaltending Coach - Sarnia Sting
- Spirit Announce Details for 2019 Training Camp - Saginaw Spirit
- Knights Announce Training Camp Presented by Start.Ca - London Knights
- Barrie Colts Training Camp Schedule Set - Barrie Colts
- Frontenacs Acquire Jordan Frasca from Windsor Spitfires - Kingston Frontenacs
- Bulldogs Name Vince Laise Head Coach - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sarnia Sting Stories
- Sting Proud to Help Most Vunlerable in Community with $7,414 Raised in Puck COVID Campaign
- Sting Sign Goaltender Anson Thornton to Standard Player Agreement
- OHL Unveils Initial Return to Play Plan for 2020-21 Season
- 7th Overall CHL Import Selection Commits to the Sting
- $6,315 Raised to Battle COVID-19 Locally in Inaugural Online 50/50