Stephen Glass Named Atlanta United Interim Head Coach
ATLANTA - Atlanta United today announced that Atlanta United 2 head coach Stephen Glass will serve as interim head coach following the departure of Frank De Boer. Glass will take over effective immediately while the team has begun to search for a permanent replacement for De Boer. Academy Director Tony Annan will take over as interim head coach of Atlanta United 2.
Following a distinguished professional playing career, Glass joined Atlanta United in August 2018 as a coach for the Atlanta United Academy focusing on the U-17 squad. He was promoted to head coach of the club's USL Championship affiliate ATL UTD 2 in January 2019.
"Stephen not only has professional experience as a player at the highest levels of the sport, he is a proven leader and is well respected as a coach by his players and staff," said Atlanta United president Darren Eales. "We have great confidence that Stephen will reenergize the team and move the club in the right direction during this transition period."
A Scotland native, Glass began his playing career at Aberdeen FC where he made more than 110 appearances and scored eight goals during five seasons. He moved to the English Premier League with Newcastle United in 1998-2001 and scored seven times in 42 appearances. He then spent two seasons in the English Championship with Watford before moving back to Scotland and appearing in 86 matches for Hibernian. He concluded his playing career with a stint in NASL as a member of the Carolina RailHawks in 2011. Overall, Glass made 380 professional league appearances, while also representing Scotland internationally.
"I am honored to take over as interim head coach for the Atlanta United first team," Glass said. "I am committed to continuing the hard work the team has done to establish itself as a top club in MLS, and to meeting the high standard expected of us both on and off the field. I look forward to quickly establishing a structure and rapport with the players as we prepare to return to play in our home market."
Glass holds a UEFA Pro coaching license. His staff will be comprised of holdovers Rob Valentino (assistant), Liam Curran (goalkeeping coach) and Jack Kimber (fitness coach), as well as Henry Apaloo (interim assistant) who has also been promoted from ATL UTD 2.
Meanwhile, Annan will take over as interim head coach of ATL UTD 2, effective immediately. He will make his club coaching debut when ATL UTD 2 plays Miami FC on Wednesday at Fifth Third Bank Stadium (7:30 p.m., ESPN+).
Annan joined the club in April 2016 and was promoted to Academy Director later on in December. Atlanta's Academy was the first in MLS history to launch before its first team and its inaugural season turned out to be a banner year, as the U17s - coached by Annan - won the U.S. Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) national championship. Prior to joining Atlanta United, Annan had already accumulated more than 20 years of experience coaching in the Atlanta market, and also founded the Georgia United development program.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 27, 2020
- LAFC to Face Seattle Sounders Tonight in the MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 - Los Angeles FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Battles Minnesota United FC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Sign Paul Arriola to Multi-Year Contract Extension - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Take on Real Salt Lake Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Easing Back into Training Grind to Prepare for Potential MLS Regular Season Resumption - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Minnesota United FC vs. Columbus Crew Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Stephen Glass Named Atlanta United Interim Head Coach - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Edges Vancouver in Penalty Shootout - Sporting Kansas City
- 'Caps valiant tourney run ends in shootout defeat to West leaders SKC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 3 - 1 Toronto FC - New York City FC
- New York City FC (3) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Inter Miami CF
- AMB Sports and Entertainment Partners with When We All Vote and Wondaland for Fuel the Vote and Wondalunch Event September 26
- Atlanta United Falls 4-2 to Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Nashville SC
- MLS Announces Regular Season Schedule Through End of September