Stars Recognized for Earning Top Record in Western Conference
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, were recognized today by the league for finishing the 2019-20 season with the top record in the Western Conference. To mark the achievement, the Stars selected Represent Justice as the beneficiary of a $10,000 donation from the NBA G League.
Through stories of hope and redemption, Represent Justice will spur public demand for a fair legal system and dignity for individuals directly impacted by it-disproportionately people of color and the poor.
In January, Larry H. Miller Sports & Entertainment partnered with Represent Justice and the Rocky Mountain Innocence Center to screen the film "Just Mercy" for employees and community partners. Stars players attended the screening and panel discussion following the film.
The Stars finished the 2019-20 season atop the Western Conference with a 30-12 (.714) mark, the most wins in a single season in Salt Lake City team history. The club was poised to appear in the playoffs for the second consecutive season.
The Stars won the 2019 MGM Resorts NBA G League Winter Showcase in Las Vegas in December in the midst of a 14-game winning streak, tied for second-longest in a single season in league history. Six Jazz players appeared in games with the Stars in 2019-20, and the team produced two GATORADE Call-Ups to the NBA: Juwan Morgan (Utah Jazz) and William Howard (Houston Rockets).
Last week, Martin Schiller was named the 2019-20 NBA G League Dennis Johnson Coach of the Year and Bart Taylor was named the 2019-20 NBA G League Basketball Executive of the Year. Utah Jazz two-way player Jarrell Brantley earned All-NBA G League First Team and All-Rookie Team honors.
The NBA G League also recognized the Wisconsin Herd (Milwaukee Bucks affiliate) for earning the top record in the Eastern Conference.
"The Wisconsin Herd and Salt Lake City Stars are exceptional organizations and well deserving of this recognition," said NBA G League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim. "Both teams played with purpose throughout the season to earn their spots at the top of the NBA G League."
The NBA G League canceled the remainder of its 2019-20 season on June 4. The regular season was suspended on March 12 and had been scheduled to conclude on March 28.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from June 29, 2020
- NBA G League Recognizes Wisconsin Herd for Best Record in Eastern Conference - Wisconsin Herd
- Stars Recognized for Earning Top Record in Western Conference - Salt Lake City Stars
- NBA G League Recognizes Wisconsin Herd and Salt Lake City Stars for Top Conference Records in 2019-20 Season - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake City Stars Stories
- Stars to Participate in NBA G League Single-Site Campus
- Stars Name Nathan Peavy Head Coach
- Stars Earn NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for "Autism Awareness Night"
- Statements from the Utah Jazz and Salt Lake City Stars on the Departure of Martin Schiller
- Stars Recognized for Earning Top Record in Western Conference