Stars earn sixth win in eight games
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Lincoln Stars (9-6-0-0) excelled on special teams with three tallies, helping push past the Green Bay Gamblers (8-8-2-0) 5-1 on Saturday night at the Ice Box.
An early power play led to the Stars scoring the opening goal and sending the teddy bears on the ice. At 2:27, Stars forward Devlin McCabe jammed home a shot at the left post to take the 1-0 lead. The Gamblers answered back at 13:56 with a shot from Jesse Jacques at the left circle to level the score, 1-1.
Special teams became a factor for the Stars in the second period, scoring on either side of a power play. At 11:14, Stars forward Casey Dornbach ripped a shot from outside the right circle to take back the lead, 2-1. With the Stars on the penalty kill, forward Ashton Calder earned a turnover and walked the puck in for a shorthanded goal at 15:09 to double the lead, 3-1.
The Stars earned two more in the third period on even strength. At 11:52, Stars forward Dominick Mersch ran up the right side and slotted a shot through the goaltender to take a 4-1 lead. McCabe added a second tally at 16:45 with a backhanded shot off the left post to send the Stars off with a 5-1 win.
Stars goaltender Tomá=A1 Vomá=C4=8Dka (5-5-0) stopped 23 of 24 shots in the win, while Gamblers netminder Jake Begley (0-3-1) saved 27 of 32 shots in the loss. The Stars welcome back the Tri-City Storm on Thursday, Dec. 7 at 7:05 p.m. from the Ice Box. Tickets are available by calling 402-474-7827 or going to LincolnStars.com. Coverage begins 13 minutes prior to faceoff on 93.7 The Ticket, HockeyTV and Lincoln Stars Radio.
Season tickets for the 2017-2018 season are now available by calling 402-474-7827. The Stars mobile app is also available in the iTunes and Google Play stores with "tap to buy" tickets, in-game push notifications and a rewards program that puts fans in the skates of a player.
Images from this story
Special Teams Benefits Stars in 5-1 Win
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2017
- RELEASE -- Stars Host Back the Badge Night this Thursday - Lincoln Stars
- Skate with the Steel following Saturday's game vs. Madison - Chicago Steel
- Perbix Named USHL Player of the Week - Omaha Lancers
- USHL Names Two Storm Players to Players of the Week List - Tri-City Storm
- Dugan's Overtime Winner Lifts Steel over Waterloo - Chicago Steel
- LANCERS WIN FOURTH IN A ROW - Omaha Lancers
- KRAWS MASTERFUL AS FIGHTING SAINTS BLANKED AT HOME - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stars earn sixth win in eight games - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Stay Perfect on Military Appreciation Night. - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Hawks Score Second Weekend Win - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.