Stars Earn NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for "Autism Awareness Night"
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, earned the NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Program Award for the team's activation of "Autism Awareness Night Presented by Vivint Gives Back" on March 2, the league announced today.
The Stars organization raised $3,000 for Vivint Gives Back through the sale of autism awareness bobbleheads depicting Jazz forward Joe Ingles and the online auction of game-worn jerseys. The team wore custom light blue uniforms with puzzle piece trim for the contest against the South Bay Lakers on March 2 at Vivint Arena.
The funds support Vivint Gives Back, the charitable arm of Vivint, in its mission to help children with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
"We are very appreciative of the recognition of our efforts from the NBA G League and remain committed to continue to use our platform to make a positive impact in our community," said Jonathan Rinehart, president of the Salt Lake City Stars. "The award for our Autism Awareness Night is a testament to a total team effort by so many people working together for a cause, including Vivint Gives Back, Stars staff, coaches and players, as well as the support of Joe Ingles and the entire Jazz organization."
The Stars welcomed a franchise record 9,413 fans to Vivint Arena on March 2. The game presentation included a sensory-reduced environment, and the Vivint Gives Back Sensory Room on Level 5 of Vivint Arena was open to all patrons in the event of over-stimulation.
All 28 NBA G League teams were invited to submit a nomination in each category for awards recognizing excellence for team business and social responsibility, with a committee of league and team executives choosing the winners.
Salt Lake City was joined by the Long Island Nets (Brooklyn Nets affiliate) and Santa Cruz Warriors (Golden State Warriors affiliate) in earning NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Program honors. The College Park Skyhawks (Atlanta Hawks affiliate) earned the NBA G League Social and Digital Media Award, and the Windy City Bulls (Chicago Bulls affiliate) received the NBA G League Promotion of the Year.
"This year's recipients of the NBA G League Team Business and Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Awards are the finest representations of the innovative thinking and deep commitment to their communities that all of our teams embody," said NBA G League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim. "Whether it is through technology or personal interaction, our teams continue to create strong bonds with people that help grow the game around the world."
The Stars finished the 2019-20 campaign atop the Western Conference with a 30-12 (.714) record at the time of the season's stoppage. The club won the MGM Resorts NBA G League Winter Showcase Tournament in December in the midst of a 14-game winning streak, the longest in the NBA G League last season and tied for second-longest in a single season in league history.
Season tickets for the 2020-21 campaign, the team's fifth in Salt Lake City, are on sale now. For more information, fans are encouraged to visit slcstars.com or call or text (801) 325-STAR.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from August 6, 2020
- Stars Earn NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for "Autism Awareness Night" - Salt Lake City Stars
- Windy City Bulls Awarded the 2019-20 NBA G League's Promotion of the Year - Windy City Bulls
- NBA G League Announces Team Business and Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Awards for 2019-20 Season - G League
- Santa Cruz Warriors Awarded 2019-20 NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for Sea Dub Classics Program - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake City Stars Stories
- Stars Name Nathan Peavy Head Coach
- Stars Earn NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for "Autism Awareness Night"
- Statements from the Utah Jazz and Salt Lake City Stars on the Departure of Martin Schiller
- Stars Recognized for Earning Top Record in Western Conference
- Jarrell Brantley Earns All-NBA G League First Team, All-Rookie Honors