Stars Close Regular Season with 5-0 Shutout Win
KEARNEY, Neb. - The Lincoln Stars (35-23-1-1) finished the 2017-18 regular season with a 5-0 shutout win over the Tri-City Storm (29-27-2-2) on Sunday afternoon from Viaero Center.
The Stars and Storm began light with possession and physicality, but as the period wore on more chances came up. Stars forward Tristan Ashbrook was fed by forward Paul Cotter in the high slot for a goal at 13:02 to take a 1-0 lead.
The offense came alive for the Stars in the second period starting at 5:24 with a one-time shot by forward Austin Magera for his first with the Stars, doubling the lead to 2-0. Stars forward Logan Jenuwine tallied his first power play goal with the Stars at 11:29, and forward Philippe Lapointe tabbed his first shorthanded goal of the season at 14:16, spreading the lead to 4-0.
The Stars solidified their footing in the contest with a second Magera goal at 11:55 on a rebound, sending the Stars home with a 5-0 win. Stars goaltender Derek Schaedig (11-4-2) stopped all 37 shots in the win, while Storm netminder Jake Barczewski (10-15-3) halted 16 of 21 shots in the loss.
The Stars begin their quest for the Clark Cup on Tuesday, Apr. 17 at 7:05 p.m. from Denny Sanford Premier Center and open their Western Conference First Round Series against the Sioux Falls Stampede. Coverage is available on 93.7 The Ticket, HockeyTV and Lincoln Stars Radio.
Enjoy All You Can Eat Hockey, reduced ticket prices and free parking by purchasing a 2018-19 Season Membership! Call 402-747-7827 to speak with a Stars representative and secure your seat for next season. The Stars mobile app is also available in the iTunes and Play stores with "tap to buy" tickets, in-game push notifications and a rewards program that puts fans in the skates of a player.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2018
- Stampede Earn a Point in Regular Season Finale - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Storm Shutout by Stars in Final Game of Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Close Regular Season with 5-0 Shutout Win - Lincoln Stars
- Playoff Preview: Jacks Host Steel in First Round - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Force to Host Tri-City in First Round Series - Fargo Force
- Clark Cup First Round Dates Announced - USHL
- Preview: Storm Host Lincoln in Final Game of Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- Saints Fall in Overtime; Playoffs Start in Green Bay - Dubuque Fighting Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.