Saints Fall in Overtime; Playoffs Start in Green Bay
DUBUQUE, Iowa - McKade Webster scored the game-winning goal two minutes into overtime, cementing home ice for the Green Bay Gamblers in the first round of the Clark Cup playoffs. The Saints played in their 33rd one-goal game and 18th overtime game, but could not pull through in a 2-1 decision at the Mystique Community Ice Center on Saturday night.
Webster completed a 2-on-1 break down the wing with a shot that eluded the reaches of Cole Weaver to give Green Bay the decisive victory. The Saints had a prior chance to get an opportunity rolling thanks to Quinn Preston 1-on-1, but his opportunity was blocked.
Green Bay and Dubuque traded tallies in the second period after a scoreless first period. Paul Maust connected on the rebound on a shot attempt by Jack Perbix at the 10:12 mark of the second. Alex Steeves responded for the Fighting Saints on a faceoff play in which his shot rocketed past Maksim Zhukov to pull even.
The game was a largely playoff-style game with low shot counts, and great defensive hockey from start to finish. The Saints ended up outshooting the Gamblers almost by double in the game, but it was the visitors that came through in the clutch for the win.
Stay tuned to all of the updates on the Clark Cup Playoffs by staying up to date with the Clark Cup Playoff Hub on DubuqueFightingSaints.com. All of the action will be broadcast on Dubuque's Super Hits 106.1 FM, or on the USHL's streaming video provider, HockeyTV.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2018
- Stampede Earn a Point in Regular Season Finale - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Storm Shutout by Stars in Final Game of Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Close Regular Season with 5-0 Shutout Win - Lincoln Stars
- Playoff Preview: Jacks Host Steel in First Round - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Force to Host Tri-City in First Round Series - Fargo Force
- Clark Cup First Round Dates Announced - USHL
- Preview: Storm Host Lincoln in Final Game of Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- Saints Fall in Overtime; Playoffs Start in Green Bay - Dubuque Fighting Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- Taylor's Two Goals Help Dubuque to Third Straight Win
- Saints Win Goal-Fest against Green Bay with 6-5 Victory
- Explosive Second Period, Power Play Helps Dubuque Down Madison
- Saints March to Madison for Monday Night Matchup
- Dubuque Grabs Point, CR Prevails in 8-Round Shootout