Stamps Pick Finnish Linebacker in European Draft
The Calgary Stampeders selected Finnish linebacker Roni Salonen with the ninth and final pick in today's first-ever CFL European draft.
A 28-year-old native of the Finnish city of Vantaa - located 20 km north of Helsinki - Salonen has been playing for the New Yorker Lions in the German Football League since 2017.
Salonen was the Lions' second-leading tackler in 2018 with 78 total tackles including 21 tackles for loss. He also recorded four sacks. He has 182 career total tackles for the Braunschweig-based club and has helped the Lions win two Eurobowls.
The six-foot-two, 220-lb. Salonen was a member of four Finnish league championship teams with the Helsinki Roosters in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016 and he has also played for an Austrian team, the Swarco Raiders.
Salonen is scheduled to report for the Stampeders' rookie camp, which begins May 16 at McMahon Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from April 11, 2019
- BC Lions Select Receiver Benjamin Plu in CFL European Draft - B.C. Lions
- Joe "Roman Reigns" Anoai Returns September 20 - Edmonton Eskimos
- Eskimos Select Rouyer in First Ever CFL European Draft - Edmonton Eskimos
- Stamps Pick Finnish Linebacker in European Draft - Calgary Stampeders
- RedBlacks Select WR Jordan Bouah in CFL's First European Draft - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Nine Players Selected in the First CFL European Draft - CFL
- Argos Select German DL Marc Anthony Hor in First Ever CFL European Draft - Toronto Argonauts
- Taye Davis Released - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Tiger-Cats Add Four Players on Defence - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.