Nine Players Selected in the First CFL European Draft
April 11, 2019 - Canadian Football League (CFL) News Release
TORONTO - With the first pick in the first ever Canadian Football League (CFL) European Draft, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats selected France's Valentin Gnahoua.
The one-round draft followed a year that saw agreements signed between the CFL and several European federations, and the participation of 18 European players at the CFL Combine presented by New Era in March.
Nine players were selected from four different countries.
Below are the results from the 2019 CFL European Draft:
Selection Team Name Position Country
1 Hamilton Tiger-Cats Valentin Gnahoua DL Le Mans, France
2 Winnipeg Blue Bombers Thiadric Hansen LB Flensburg, Germany
3 Montreal Alouettes Asnnel Robo RB Cayenne, France
4 Edmonton Eskimos Maxime Rouyer LB Troyes, France
5 Toronto Argonauts Marc Anthony Hor DL Mannheim, Germany
6 Saskatchewan Roughriders Max Zimmermann REC Berlin, Germany
7 BC Lions Benjamin Plu REC Le Mans, France
8 Ottawa REDBLACKS Jordan Bouah REC Rome, Italy
9 Calgary Stampeders Roni Salonen LB Vantaa, Finland
4 - France
3 - Germany
1 - Italy and Finland
3 - Receivers and Linebackers
2 - Defensive Linemen
1 - Running Back This is the second draft the CFL has conducted in 2019 with 'global' players, with the first taking place in Mexico on January 14.
The 2019 CFL Draft will take place on May 2nd in Toronto. The first two rounds will be aired live on TSN and RDS. Training camps are set to open on May 19. The 2019 season begins on June 13 when the Saskatchewan Roughriders face off against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Fans can stay up to date on all the non-stop action at CFL.ca, follow the 2019 season from around the world, and join us at a game. The 107th Grey Cup presented by Shaw will be played at McMahon Stadium in Calgary on Sunday, November 24.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from April 11, 2019
- BC Lions Select Receiver Benjamin Plu in CFL European Draft - B.C. Lions
- Joe "Roman Reigns" Anoai Returns September 20 - Edmonton Eskimos
- Eskimos Select Rouyer in First Ever CFL European Draft - Edmonton Eskimos
- Stamps Pick Finnish Linebacker in European Draft - Calgary Stampeders
- RedBlacks Select WR Jordan Bouah in CFL's First European Draft - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Nine Players Selected in the First CFL European Draft - CFL
- Argos Select German DL Marc Anthony Hor in First Ever CFL European Draft - Toronto Argonauts
- Taye Davis Released - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Tiger-Cats Add Four Players on Defence - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.