Stampede Comeback to Top Storm 5-4 in Overtime
KEARNEY, Neb. - The Sioux Falls Stampede defeat the Tri-City Storm 5-4 in overtime at the Viaero Center Saturday night. Luke Toporowski scored the game-winning goal, while Cole Sillinger tallied two in the game. Trent Burnham made the start in net and stopped 27 of 31 shots on net.
The Sioux Falls Stampede were able to grab the first goal of the game in an important Western Conference battle just 20 seconds into the first period. Cole Sillinger collected a neutral zone miscue and danced his way into the neutral zone unassisted for the goal. Defenseman Nate Schweitzer upped the score with a goal three minutes later with the assist to Dan Russell.
The Storm were able to respond with a goal one minute later with a goal from Mason Wheeler to take a 2-1 deficit into the first intermission. Caden Villegas scored one minute into the second period to tie the game at two each.
Matthew Knies was able to score 16 seconds into the third period on the power play for three straight unanswered goals. Stampede forward Arlo Merritt recorded his second goal of the season with an assist from Jack Smith at 11:12 of the period. Sillinger followed that up with his second goal of the night at 13:58 from Luke Toporowski to take a 4-3 lead. Toporowski fed the puck from the left corner straight to Sillinger all alone on the backdoor of goaltender Connor Hopkins on the power play.
Knies scored again with 16 seconds remaining in regulation to send the game to overtime. Toporowski won the game for the Stampede after racing in from the left-hand side and collecting his rebound off a deflected initial shot one-on-one with the goaltender.
Despite giving up three goals last night on the penalty kill, the Herd held the Storm to one for five on the night in several crucial penalties late in the third.
The Stampede finish the weekend series with the Tri-City Storm tomorrow afternoon with puck drop at 4:05 p.m. Fans can also catch the game streaming live at HockeyTV.com or listen live on KELO Radio 107.9 FM, 1320 AM or Kelo.com.
Images from this story
Luke Toporowski of the Sioux Falls Stampede
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2021
- Stampede Comeback to Top Storm 5-4 in Overtime - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Force Top Musketeers in Comeback Win - Fargo Force
- Hawk Fall in DM, 8-1 - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Steel Defeat Youngstown 5-4 in Overtime - Chicago Steel
- Lancers Score Late, Down Stars 4-2 - Lincoln Stars
- Lancers Battle Back to Top Black Hawks, 5-4 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Host Stampede for First Time this Season - Tri-City Storm
- Force Take Down Musketeers - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Fall Friday in Fargo - Sioux City Musketeers
- Special Teams Struggle in 6-2 Loss at Des Moines - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.