Stampede Clip Hawks 5-1
Two Sioux Falls Stampede players scored two goals apiece Friday during a 5-1 victory versus the Waterloo Black Hawks at Denny Sanford Premier Center.
Defenseman Brent Johnson tallied the opening goal and the first of his pair early in the first period after Charlie Glockner had stopped initial chances by Garrett Pinoniemi and Dante Fantauzzi moments earlier.
The 1-0 score held until the second period when Max Sasson recorded Waterloo's only goal. The Hawks were skating shorthanded at the time. Sasson brought the puck up ice on a two-on-two rush and attempted to connect with Wyatt Schingoethe. However, the pass bounced right back to Sasson off a Stampede defender, so he fired a shot to the top corner over goalie Noah Grannan's left shoulder.
Johnson broke the tie less than eight minutes later. His shot from the slot hit a Black Hawks defender and the post as it bounded to the net. Will Dineen added a power play goal just over a minute before intermission, tipping a shot by Pinoniemi.
Dineen's second of the night went in off a Waterloo skate during a pileup at the front of the Waterloo net less than eight minutes into the third. J.P. Turner produced the fourth unanswered Sioux Falls goal, capping a two-on-one rush and helping to seal the outcome.
Waterloo absorbed the loss despite outshooting the Stampede in each period and by a final count of 36-27.
The same two teams meet Saturday for an instant rematch in Sioux Falls.
Waterloo 0 1 0 - 1
Sioux Falls 1 2 2 - 5
1st Period-1, Sioux Falls, Johnson 4 (Fantauzzi, Pinoniemi), 4:40. Penalties-Levens Sf (slashing), 13:44.
2nd Period-2, Waterloo, Sasson 3 6:02 (SH). 3, Sioux Falls, Johnson 5 (Smith), 13:12. 4, Sioux Falls, Dineen 5 (Pinoniemi, Johnson), 18:58 (PP). Penalties-Wylie Wat (slashing), 5:39; Sundquist Sf (holding), 9:47; Hansen Wat (bench minor-too many men), 18:15.
3rd Period-5, Sioux Falls, Dineen 6 (Haskins, Pabich), 7:33. 6, Sioux Falls, Turner 3 (Pinoniemi, Fantauzzi), 12:46. Penalties-Schweitzer Sf (roughing), 13:34.
Shots on Goal-Waterloo 12-11-13-36. Sioux Falls 7-9-11-27.
Power Play Opportunities-Waterloo 0 / 3; Sioux Falls 1 / 1.
Goalies-Waterloo, Glockner 4-6-0-0 (27 shots-22 saves). Sioux Falls, Grannan 5-5-0-0 (36 shots-35 saves).
Referees-Pat Jacobs, Trevor Wohlford.
Linesmen-Eric Arrigo, Cameron McCambridge.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 9, 2021
- Storm Bounce Back with Home Victory over Musketeers - Tri-City Storm
- Strong Second Period Powers Tri City Past Musketeers - Sioux City Musketeers
- Coronato Sets USHL Point Streak Record in Rout of USA - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Force Score 3-1 Win vs. Omaha - Fargo Force
- Stars Run out of Gas in Des Moines - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Scribbles: Dubuque Can't Muster Offense in 4-1 Loss - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Add Owen Fowler in Deal with Buccaneers for Zakary Karpa - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Seek Bounce Back Win against Musketeers - Tri-City Storm
- Three-Goal Second Period Lifts Phantoms over Dubuque 5-2 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Clip Hawks 5-1 - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Green Bay Continues Home Point Streak - Green Bay Gamblers
- O'Leary's OT Heroics Lead Stars to Second Straight Win - Lincoln Stars
- Stampede Defeat Waterloo 5-1 Friday Night - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.