Spurs Name Danny Ferry Vice President of Basketball Operations
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs today announced that Danny Ferry has been named the team's Vice President of Basketball Operations. This is his second stint with the Spurs. Ferry played for the Spurs from 2000-03 and served as the team's Director of Basketball Operations from 2003-05. During his tenure in San Antonio, Ferry captured an NBA Championship as a player (2003) and as a member of the front office (2005).
"We are thrilled that Danny has decided to rejoin the Spurs organization," said Spurs General Manager RC Buford. "He has a great basketball mind and brings a vast amount of NBA experience and expertise to our program. It is a true pleasure to be able to welcome Danny and his wonderful family back to South Texas."
Ferry was selected by the Los Angeles Clippers with the second overall pick in the 1989 NBA Draft. On November 16, 1989, he was traded by the Clippers to the Cavaliers. After playing the 1989-90 season in Italy, Ferry spent 10 seasons with Cleveland before signing with the Spurs, as a free agent, on August 10, 2000. Ferry spent his final three NBA seasons with the Spurs before retiring in the summer of 2003. In his 13-year NBA career, Ferry averaged 7.0 points and 2.8 rebounds in 19.8 minutes in 917 regular season games.
After retiring, Ferry moved into the Spurs front office as the team's Director of Basketball Operations. On June 27, 2005, Ferry was named the Cleveland Cavaliers General Manager. During his five seasons in Cleveland, the team posted a 272-138 (.663) record. Cleveland advanced to the 2007 NBA Finals, marking the franchise's first, and only, trip to the NBA Finals. Ferry left his post with the Cavaliers on June 4, 2010.
Ferry and his wife, Tiffany, have five children, Hannah, Grace, Sophia, Lucy and Jackson.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from August 26, 2010
- Reno Bighorns Tryouts Set for This Saturday - Reno Bighorns
- Spurs Name Danny Ferry Vice President of Basketball Operations - Austin Spurs
- New Mexico Thunderbirds Announce Local Open Tryouts - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Tulsa 66ers Announce Open Tryout Dates - Tulsa 66ers
- Texas Legends to Participate in NBA D-League Expansion Draft - Texas Legends
- NBA D-League to Hold Expansion Draft - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- Austin Spurs Guard Khyri Thomas Receives Gatorade Call-Up to the Houston Rockets
- Tre Jones Named to All-NBA G League Third Team
- Austin Spurs' Galen Robinson Jr. Receives 2020-21 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award
- Spurs Close Season with Playoff Loss to Delaware
- Spurs Close Regular Season, Prepare for Playoff