Spring Valley and Virgin Valley High School Girls Basketball Teams to Participate in Aces Lace up Mentorship Program
LAS VEGAS - As part of their National Girls And Women In Sports Day activities, the Las Vegas Aces announced today that the girls basketball teams at Spring Valley High School and Virgin Valley High School were selected to take part in the team's inaugural Lace Up Mentorship Program. A third team will be announced later this week.
Aces center Carolyn Swords and members of the Aces front office staff surprised the teams this morning at their respective schools (View the photo gallery from today's presentations).
"Each of the three teams provided compelling reasons for why they should be selected for the program- positive attitudes; commitment to each other, to their sports, and to their studies; and how they really strive for excellence and help each other achieve those things," said Swords. "Their coaches also wrote compelling letters recommending them, so we are really looking forward to getting to these young women throughout the 2019 season."
All 36 high schools in the Clark County School District were eligible to apply for the program, and were asked to submit a team essay and letter of recommendation from their coach.
Lace Up teams will receive special one-on-one access to Aces' players, financial literacy workshops, college & recruiting workshops, post-game socials and luncheons with the Aces, special access to an Aces camp or clinic, and recognition at an Aces game. In addition, the Aces will invite the Lace Up mentees to participate in a community service project.
Las Vegas tips off its second season of WNBA competition at Mandalay Bay Events Center on Sunday, May 26 at 5 pm PT. Season and group tickets may be purchased at LasVegasAces.com. For additional information about the Aces, please visit LasVegasAces.com or follow on social media via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from February 6, 2019
- Spring Valley and Virgin Valley High School Girls Basketball Teams to Participate in Aces Lace up Mentorship Program - Las Vegas Aces
- Atlanta Dream Sign Forward Haley Peters - Atlanta Dream
- Kayla Thornton Named Player of the Week - Dallas Wings
- Mercury Signs Free Agent Wing Essence Carson - Phoenix Mercury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aces Stories
- Aces Sign Partnership Agreement with Sinclair Broadcasting Group to Televise Home Games on MyLVTV
- Las Vegas Finalizes 2019 Opening Day Roster
- Aces Waive Alex Harden and Saniya Chong
- Jackie Young Scores 16 in Her Preseason Debut, But Aces Fall, 79-75, to Minnesota
- Done Deal: Aces Trade for All-Star Center Liz Cambage