Sporting KC Hosts Nashville SC on Sunday
Major League Soccer's pivotal month of October will resume Sunday when Sporting Kansas City (8-5-2, 26 points) puts a two-game winning streak on the line against Nashville SC (4-5-6, 18 points), an expansion club looking to extend its four-game unbeaten run.
Kickoff at world-class Children's Mercy Park is slated for 6 p.m. CT with tickets available at SeatGeek.com and stadium capacity reduced to 18%. Supporters in attendance who buy a Sporting KC secondary jersey will receive 25% off mobile orders on other merchandise and concessions, and all fans can access the Sporting KC app to redeem a digital coupon for free BelVita breakfast bars at any Kansas City area Price Chopper location from Oct. 11-13.
Sunday's inter-conference clash will be shown live on FOX Sports Kansas City, FOX Sports Midwest and FOX Sports GO, bookended by 30-minute pregame and postgame shows. Listeners can also catch the action locally on ESPN 94.5 FM and La Grande 1340 AM, with The Final Whistle postgame show immediately following on 94.5 FM. Viewers outside of the FOX Sports Midwest footprint can stream the match on ESPN Plus.
A competitive Western Conference race currently sees Sporting saddled in third place, a point behind the Portland Timbers and four behind Seattle Sounders FC. Manager Peter Vermes' side went 1-4-2 from Aug. 25 to Sept. 23 but has since responded with consecutive victories to regain momentum.
Last Saturday's 2-1 road triumph over the Houston Dynamo was followed by a 1-0 defeat of Chicago Fire FC on Wednesday at Children's Mercy Park, which featured major contributions from goalkeeper Tim Melia and center back Winston Reid. Melia, who saved a second-minute penalty kick, has now stopped four of the last five penalties he has faced in the regular season and boasts a 0.56 goals conceded percentage on PK attempts, the lowest in MLS history. Reid, meanwhile, nodded home the decisive goal in the 67th minute off a Johnny Russell corner kick and became the second Sporting player since the dawn of the MLS Opta era in 2010 to record seven interceptions and a game-winning goal in a shutout victory.
Sporting have scored in each of their first 15 MLS matches this season -- a regular season club record -- and remain the only team in the league yet to be shut out. Russell and striker Alan Pulido -- who will miss Sunday's game while on international duty with Mexico -- have led the way with six and five goals, respectively, while Gadi Kinda and Khiry Shelton have added four apiece.
Scoring could be hard to come by Sunday, however, as Nashville SC boasts one of the better defensive records in MLS. Led by English head coach Gary Smith, the Tennessee outfit has conceded just 14 goals in 15 games this season. Experienced veterans such as Walker Zimmerman, Dax McCarty, Daniel Lovitz and Anibal Godoy have given the first-year club a formidable spine, even if the team has yet to catch fire offensively.
Indeed, Nashville's 11 goals are the second-fewest in MLS, and the team has taken part in a league-high four goalless draws this year -- including each of their last two outings against the New England Revolution and Minnesota United FC. Zimmerman, fellow center back Dave Romney and goalkeeper Joe Willis have played every minute of the 2020 campaign thus far and helped Nashville to an impressive seven clean sheets, tied for the second-most in MLS.
The inaugural meeting between Sporting and Nashville will see the visitors aim to improve upon a dismal road scoring rate. Nashville has managed just two goals in eight away matches this season, a dry spell that includes a 345-minute road goalless drought dating back to Aug. 26. Sporting, meanwhile, are 9-3-4 in their inaugural regular season meetings with expansion clubs since 2005.
Both teams will be playing their third game in nine days on Sunday. The upcoming match schedule is particularly congested for a Sporting side that is scheduled to play nine regular season fixtures in a 30-day period from Oct. 3 to Nov. 1 -- the busiest month in club history. A frantic finish to the campaign will then conclude with MLS Decision Day 2020 presented by AT&T on Nov. 8 as all clubs round out their 23-game regular season slates ahead of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs beginning in mid-November. The expanded 18-team playoff field will consist of eight Western Conference clubs and 10 Eastern Conference clubs in a single-elimination format through MLS Cup on Dec. 12.
Sporting Kansas City vs. Nashville SC
2020 MLS Regular Season | Match 16 of 23
Sunday, Oct. 11, 2020 | 6:30 p.m. CT
Children's Mercy Park | Kansas City, Kansas
English TV | FOX Sports Kansas City
English TV | FOX Sports Midwest
Streaming | FOX Sports GO or ESPN Plus
English Radio | ESPN 94.5 FM
Spanish Radio | La Grande 1340 AM
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 9, 2020
- Fort Lauderdale CF Falls 4-1 on the Road against New England Revolution II - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake to Face Whitecaps FC Saturday in Portland - Real Salt Lake
- October 10 Match against LA Galaxy Postponed - Colorado Rapids
- Saturday's Colorado Rapids vs. LA Galaxy Match Postponed - MLS
- LA Galaxy Match vs. Colorado Rapids Postponed - LA Galaxy
- McCarthy Following Club Debut: "I'M Trying to Make the Best of It and Keep PushingÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Acquire An International Roster Slot from Sporting KC and Edison Flores Activated from Injured List - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Acquires $50K in GAM from D.C. United - Sporting Kansas City
- Major League Soccer and Wells Fargo Team up to Recognize Community MVPs - Colorado Rapids
- Trapp Ahead of Career Milestone: "I Just Hope for a Win for the TeamÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- New York Begin Back-To-Back Road Trips, Starting in Atlanta - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF to Host Houston Dynamo on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Stretch against Eastern Conference Opponents in Florida - Houston Dynamo
- Sporting KC Hosts Nashville SC on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Rescued Sea Otter and Global YouTube Star Joey Featured on New Whitecaps FC Face Masks in Support of Vancouver Aquarium - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.