Fort Lauderdale CF Falls 4-1 on the Road against New England Revolution II
Fort Lauderdale CF fell 4-1 on the road against New England Revolution II. The USL League One matchup at Gillette Stadium kicked off at 7 p.m. ET and aired live on ESPN+.
Fort Lauderdale began the match with six changes to its starting XI from its last game; goalkeeper Andre Zuluaga, fullbacks Sami Guediri and Brian Rosales, midfielders Servando Carrasco and Eduardo Sosa and 15-year-old winger Felipe Valencia returned to the starting lineup.
It was a highly contested first half with few opportunities on the offensive end for both sides. It seemed as if the match was going into the break with a goalless stalemate on the board, but New England opened the scoring in the 42nd minute through a right-footed free-kick by midfielder Nicolas Firmino to take a 1-0 before the halfway mark.
Fort Lauderdale, however, struck back in the opening stages of the second half, tying the match 1-1 in the 52nd minute through a goal by 15-year-old Academy product Valencia. Academy product Edison Azcona delivered an inch-perfect through ball that split the defensive line and found Valencia inside the box, who then calmly finished the play with a left-footed strike to beat the keeper. It was Valencia's third goal of the season, who is the youngest goalscorer in USL history, and Azcona's second assist.
New England then quickly recovered to regain their lead a few minutes later in the 60th minute; forward Justin Rennicks found the back of the net with a finish in the near post after receiving a cross from right back Colby Quiñones to give his team a 2-1 lead.
The hosts once again scored to extend their lead in the 75th minute with a goal by left back Ryan Spaulding and in the 93rd minute with a goal by center back Tiago Mendonca. In the end, New England won 4-1.
Fort Lauderdale CF will now return home to face Forward Madison FC at 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Oct. 14, at Inter Miami CF Stadium in the team's second to last regular season match.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 9, 2020
- Fort Lauderdale CF Falls 4-1 on the Road against New England Revolution II - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake to Face Whitecaps FC Saturday in Portland - Real Salt Lake
- October 10 Match against LA Galaxy Postponed - Colorado Rapids
- Saturday's Colorado Rapids vs. LA Galaxy Match Postponed - MLS
- LA Galaxy Match vs. Colorado Rapids Postponed - LA Galaxy
- McCarthy Following Club Debut: "I'M Trying to Make the Best of It and Keep PushingÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Acquire An International Roster Slot from Sporting KC and Edison Flores Activated from Injured List - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Acquires $50K in GAM from D.C. United - Sporting Kansas City
- Major League Soccer and Wells Fargo Team up to Recognize Community MVPs - Colorado Rapids
- Trapp Ahead of Career Milestone: "I Just Hope for a Win for the TeamÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- New York Begin Back-To-Back Road Trips, Starting in Atlanta - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF to Host Houston Dynamo on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Stretch against Eastern Conference Opponents in Florida - Houston Dynamo
- Sporting KC Hosts Nashville SC on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Rescued Sea Otter and Global YouTube Star Joey Featured on New Whitecaps FC Face Masks in Support of Vancouver Aquarium - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Co-Owners Jorge Mas and David Beckham Welcome Phil Neville and Chris Henderson
- Phil Neville: "One Thing That Really Excites Me Is to Prove People WrongÃ¢ÂÂ
- Inter Miami CF Receives 2022 SuperDraft Second Round Pick from Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Selects Penn, Mabika and Hafferty in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Inter Miami CF Set for 2021 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday