Special Olympics Massachusetts and New England Revolution Announce 2020 Unified Team for "Unified We Play" Virtual Competition
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - Special Olympics Massachusetts and the New England Revolution today announced the signing of 15 Special Olympics Massachusetts athletes and Unified Sports® partners to the 2020 New England Revolution Unified Team. Marking the sixth year of the Revolution's partnership with Special Olympics Massachusetts, the club will be one of eight MLS teams fielding a Unified team in the 2020 Unified We Play competition, a series of virtual events beginning this week.
The 15 members of the 2020 Revolution Unified Team, all of whom hail from Massachusetts, recently signed their contracts with the club and received their official team jerseys. This year's team consists of seven Special Olympics athletes and eight Unified partners. The team will compete in the virtual 2020 Unified We Play Competition, which begins Monday, June 29 and continues until Friday, July 31, with the winner being announced the week of August 3. The Revolution are one of eight MLS teams represented in the competition alongside Atlanta United, Colorado Rapids, Houston Dynamo, New York City FC, New York Red Bulls, Real Salt Lake and Sporting Kansas City.
2020 Revolution Unified Team
Special Olympics Massachusetts Athletes:
Aaron Allen Hingham, Mass.
Shawn Barton Stoughton, Mass.
Preston Hall North Andover, Mass.
James Keith North Andover, Mass.
Lumene Montissol Mattapan, Mass.
Sam Spinney Newburyport, Mass.
JP Young Milford, Mass.
Unified Sports® Partners
Carly Alston Franklin, Mass.
Farley Asmath Franklin, Mass.
Ashley Fenton Chicopee, Mass.
Brooke Fenton Chicopee, Mass.
Calen Frongillo Franklin, Mass.
Claude Joseph Weymouth, Mass.
Olivia Marshall Milford, Mass.
Connor McMahon Millis, Mass.
The Unified We Play Competition is designed to be a fun, inclusive and unique competition experience for Unified teams. Traditionally, Unified teams travel to play one another in matches inside MLS stadiums but will be unable to do so this year due to COVID-19 restrictions. This marks the first year in which Unified teams will compete virtually.
Teams will compete against one another each week, with points earned from each head-to-head matchup across three divisions: total distance walked or run during the designated week, soccer skills challenge, and a "Minute to Win It"-style challenge, where athletes will compete via video conference or submit pre-recorded footage of themselves completing assigned tasks. Points will be added to the overall standings and the Unified team with the most points at the end of the competition will be crowned champion.
New England Revolution 2020 Unified We Play Schedule
(June 29-July 3) New England Revolution Unified vs. Atlanta United Unified
(July 6-July 10) New England Revolution Unified vs. Houston Dynamo Unified
(July 13-July 17) New England Revolution Unified vs. Sporting Kansas City Unified
(July 20-July 24) New England Revolution Unified vs. Colorado Rapids Unified
(July 27-July 31) New England Revolution Unified vs. Real Salt Lake Unified
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 30, 2020
- The Countdown Is On: Rapids Prepare for Travel to Orlando and Opening Match vs RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Sign Veteran Midfielder Collen Warner to a One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Shandon Hopeau as Homegrown Player - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Commits $250,000 to the FC Cincinnati Foundation to Support Programs Addressing Racial Disparities - FC Cincinnati
- Shalrie Joseph Added to New England Revolution Academy Coaching Staff - New England Revolution
- MLS Opens Application Process for Top Youth Clubs to Join New Elite Player Development Platform - MLS
- Midfielder Juninho Retires from Professional Soccer - LA Galaxy
- Special Olympics Massachusetts and New England Revolution Announce 2020 Unified Team for "Unified We Play" Virtual Competition - New England Revolution
- Inside Inter Miami: Club Docuseries to Premiere on July 1 - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Teal Bunbury Re-Signs with New England Revolution
- Revolution's Next MLS Is Back Tournament Match vs. D.C. United Moved to Friday, July 17 at 8:00 p.m. ET
- Revolution Open MLS Is Back Tournament with 1-0 Win against Montreal Impact
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Montreal Impact
- New England Revolution Sign Defender/Midfielder Matt Polster from Rangers FC