Sparks Nneka Ogwumike Wins WNBA Player of the Week
LOS ANGELES - The WNBA announced today that Sparks forward Nneka Ogwumike won Player of the Week for the week ending Aug. 11, along with Washington Mystics forward Elena Delle Donne. Ogwumike led the Sparks to a 2-0 record this past week with wins over the Phoenix Mercury and Chicago Sky, two playoff teams. For the week, she averaged 20.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game while shooting a lights-out 65.4% from the field.
On Pat Summitt Leadership Night against the Mercury, Ogwumike scored 24 points and grabbed seven rebounds to go along with three assists and two steals. Nneka shot 9-for-13 from the field, including 2-for-4 on 3-pointers and a perfect 4-for-4 from the free-throw line in 27 minutes of action.
Against the Sky on Aug. 11, Ogwumike recorded her 11th double-double of the season, scoring 17 points to along with 12 rebounds, again shooting an efficient 8-for-13 from the field in 29 minutes of play.
This is the second Player of the Week honor Ogwumike has won this season, the other coming the week ending July 14. Nneka also won Player of the Month honors for July. Currently, the 2016 MVP is second in the WNBA in rebounds per game (9.5) and sixth in points per game (16.9). The Sparks have won five games in a row and 11 out of their last 13 contests.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 12, 2019
- Aces Closing in on First Playoff Berth Since 2014, Host Atlanta Tuesday at 7 pm PT - Las Vegas Aces
- Sparks Nneka Ogwumike Wins WNBA Player of the Week - Los Angeles Sparks
- New York Liberty Shines Spotlight on Criminal Justice Reform for Women During UNITY Day Events - New York Liberty
- NBA Experience Grand Opening Is a Slam Dunk at Walt Disney World Resort - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.