Sounders FC Receives $750,000 in General Allocation Money from D.C. United in Exchange for Brad Smith
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced that it has received $750,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money (GAM) from D.C. United in exchange for defender Brad Smith. The Australian fullback has 72 MLS appearances (including postseason play) across two stints with the club from 2018-2021, helping Seattle to a pair of MLS Cup Final appearances and the 2019 title. Sounders FC retains a 10% sell-on fee if Smith is transferred to any club outside of MLS.
"We want to thank Brad for his four years of service in Seattle," said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "Since his arrival, he's been a great member of our organization - on and off the field - and we wish him the best in the next chapter of his career."
In his first stint with Seattle, Smith made 35 MLS appearances (including postseason) from 2018-2019, tallying eight assists and helping the club to the 2019 MLS Cup title. He returned to AFC Bournemouth following the 2019 season and went on loan with Cardiff City in 2020 before signing back with Sounders FC in September of 2020. He then made 37 appearances for the Rave Green in 2020-2021, tallying a career-high three goals in 2021 along with four assists.
"Brad has been nothing but a consummate professional since he arrived here in 2018," said Sounders FC Head Coach Brian Schmetzer. "He helped us achieve a lot of success, including an MLS Cup title, and has been a critical member of our locker room. Once a Sounder, always a Sounder."
Prior to coming to Seattle originally in 2018, Smith spent the previous two seasons with Bournemouth, where he made 11 appearances across all competitions, including five in Premier League play. Before Bournemouth, Smith played for storied English club Liverpool, where he came up through the youth ranks after moving from Penrith, Australia as a teenager. He made his first team debut in a 2-1 loss to Chelsea on December 23, 2013 in Premiership action. After being loaned to League One side Swindon Town in 2014-2015, Smith returned to Liverpool for the 2015-2016 campaign, making 10 appearances across all competitions and scoring his first professional goal for the Reds in a 2-2 draw with Exeter City in the FA Cup on January 8, 2016. Smith also made an appearance in Europa League play, a scoreless draw with FC Sion on December 10, 2015.
"It's never easy to say goodbye to a player as well-regarded as Brad," said Sounders FC Senior Vice President of Soccer & Sporting Director Craig Waibel. "D.C. United is getting a terrific player and quality person. We wish him nothing but luck."
Smith has 23 caps for the Australian National Team, including three appearances in 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying. After making his senior debut in a 2-0 loss to Belgium on September 4, 2014, Smith made 12 appearances for the Socceroos in 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying. The son of English parents, Smith played extensively at the youth levels for England, including representing the England U-17 side at the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
TRANSACTION: Sounders FC receives $750,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money (GAM) from D.C. United in exchange for defender Brad Smith on January 27, 2022. Seattle retains a 10% sell-on fee if Smith is transferred to any club outside of MLS.
Images from this story
Seattle Sounders FC defender Brad Smith
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2022
- Designated Player Karol Ã Âwiderski a Testament to Charlotte FC's Roster Building Plan - Charlotte FC
- Earthquakes Announce Local TV Broadcast Information for 2022 MLS Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- World Cup Qualifying Roundup: Three Boys in Gold Play Crucial Matches for National Teams - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Sign Pre-Contract with Forward Taxiarchis "Taxi" Fountas - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Receives $750,000 in General Allocation Money from D.C. United in Exchange for Brad Smith - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquire Seattle Sounders Defender Brad Smith - D.C. United
- Ronald Matarrita, Alvas Powell Represent Countries in FIFA World Cup Qualification - FC Cincinnati
- Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, Chicago Fire Football Club, Chicago Housing Authority Begin Talks for New Near West Side Training Facility - Chicago Fire FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Mikael Uhre as Designated Player - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City SC Acquires Austrian Forward Ercan Kara as Designated Player - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Plays to Scoreless Draw with Portland in First Preseason Match of 2022 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Wins 1-0 over Houston Dynamo FC in Midweek Action at PNC Stadium
- Sounders FC Faces Houston Dynamo FC Tonight in Midweek Matchup at PNC Stadium
- Sounders FC Gets Back in the Win Column and Rises up the Western Conference Standings with 3-1 Victory over Minnesota
- Sounders FC Returns to MLS Action Sunday against Minnesota United FC at Lumen Field
- Sounders FC Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Title IX this Sunday with Matchday Elements to Honor Women's Soccer in Washington State