Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris to Serve as 2018 Seafair Torchlight Parade Grand Marshal
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today announced that forward Jordan Morris has been selected to lead the 69th Annual Seafair Torchlight Parade on Saturday, July 28.
Morris is being honored as Grand Marshal in part to recognize his dedicated work in the community. Born and raised on Mercer Island, Morris, who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes as a child, started the Jordan Morris Foundation in 2017 to educate, inspire and support other young people dealing with the disease. Though he is currently recovering from a season-ending injury sustained earlier this year, Morris has continued to facilitate his T1D Playmakers program at every Sounders FC home match, meeting with a child and his or her family who are dealing with Type 1 Diabetes and providing a special matchday experience. Additionally, Morris supports Special Olympics Washington and is serving as an official ambassador for the 2018 Special Olympics USA Games.
"Having grown up in this area, Seafair is a special part of every summer," said Morris. "It's an incredible honor to be selected as a Grand Marshal. This year has been challenging for me in a lot of ways, but as I work to recover and get back on the field, I'm also trying to continue giving back as much as I can. Helping represent Seafair and its theme of inclusion this year is something I'm proud to be a part of."
Morris joins the ranks of Seafair Grand Marshals such as Bob Hope, Jane Fonda, Apolo Ohno, Dave Niehaus, Duff McKagan, Edgar Martinez, Gary Payton and Sounders FC teammate Clint Dempsey, who led the parade in 2014 alongside former Sounder DeAndre Yedlin.
"Jordan's connection is extra special for us, as he is not only a homegrown sports hero, but, even better, a genuinely great servant leader," said Seafair President & CEO Richard Andersen. "His work with his foundation and so many other worthy causes are perfectly in line with Seafair's 2018 theme of 'Inclusive.'"
The 2018 Torchlight Parade features more than 100 parade entries from clowns and pirates to drill teams and equestrian units. In its 69th year, the parade continues to highlight and celebrate communities from greater Seattle's diverse cultural landscape including Children's Friendship Festival, Indigenouz PlaceMakerz, Sikhs of Washington and many more. The parade begins at Seattle Center and continues down Fourth Avenue to South Washington Street. Reserved seating for the parade is available starting at $35. For tickets, visit http://www.seafair.com.
Since 1950, nothing has been more synonymous with summer in Seattle than Seafair. The annual non-profit festival spans ten weeks and touches more than two million people through 75 sanctioned events.
Now in its 69th year, Seafair is committed to uniting and celebrating all of Seattle's diverse communities by offering affordable fun and activities where differences are welcomed, and every individual feels a sense of belonging to make memories that last a lifetime. For more information, visit Seafair.com.
Images from this story
Seattle Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris
(Sounders FC Communications / Jane Gershovich)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 8, 2018
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Toronto FC - May 9, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Game Notes: Houston Dynamo at Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Friday, May 11 - 9:30 p.m. CDT - Houston Dynamo
- Paul Christensen Signs Short-Term Agreement with Atlanta United - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Loans Jesus Ferreira to Tulsa Roughnecks FC - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union at Columbus Crew SC - Philadelphia Union
- Impact Visits Chicago Fire on Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris to Serve as 2018 Seafair Torchlight Parade Grand Marshal - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Sporting KC Visits Atlanta in Marquee Wednesday Matchup - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Philadelphia Union at Mapfre Stadium Tomorrow in Midweek Showdown - Columbus Crew SC
- Altidore Injury Update - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Unveils Schedule of 2018 BMO Soccer Celebration Summer Tour - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Agrees to Youth Affiliation with Northwest United FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Sporting Kansas City - Atlanta United FC
- Montreal Impact Midfielder Ignacio Piatti Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Ignacio Piatti Named Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Vancouver for Rights to Andy Rose
- Sounders FC Exercises Options on 10 Players
- Sounders FC Announces 2018 Team Awards
- Alliance Council Unveils Results of 2018 General Manager Vote at Alliance Annual Business Meeting
- Five Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty