Paul Christensen Signs Short-Term Agreement with Atlanta United
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed goalkeeper Paul Christensen to another Short-Term Agreement for the club's upcoming match against Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday (7:30 p.m., FOX Sports South). Christensen joined the team prior to its match against Chicago Fire on Saturday as an extreme hardship call-up and will do so again Wednesday as Mitch Hildebrandt and Alec Kann continue their respective recoveries.
Major League Soccer allows teams to sign players from their USL affiliate to Short-Term Agreements (up to four-day contracts) specifically for MLS League Season games in cases of Extreme Hardship. An MLS club may sign a player to a maximum of four short-term agreements each season (maximum of 16 days). This is the second short-term agreement for Christensen.
An Extreme Hardship call-up is applied when a team has less than two goalkeepers available or less than four available outfield substitutes. The Extreme Hardship condition does not apply for Short-Term Agreements for Concacaf Champions League, Canadian Championship, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, and exhibition matches.
Christensen, 22, was selected by Atlanta United with the No. 70 pick in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft. After signing with ATL UTD 2 in February, Christensen has made two starts in USL competitions, compiling a 1.50 goals against average and a 0-1-1 record. He made his professional debut against Charlotte Independence on March 31. In college, Christensen started all 72 games of his four-year career at University of Portland and recorded 20 clean sheets.
Name: Paul Christensen
Birthdate: April 15, 1996 (age: 22)
Birthplace: Woodinville, Washington
Current Club: Atlanta United 2
Transaction: Signed a Short-Term Agreement in a case of Extreme Hardship with Atlanta United on May 8, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 8, 2018
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Toronto FC - May 9, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Game Notes: Houston Dynamo at Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Friday, May 11 - 9:30 p.m. CDT - Houston Dynamo
- Paul Christensen Signs Short-Term Agreement with Atlanta United - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Loans Jesus Ferreira to Tulsa Roughnecks FC - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union at Columbus Crew SC - Philadelphia Union
- Impact Visits Chicago Fire on Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris to Serve as 2018 Seafair Torchlight Parade Grand Marshal - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Sporting KC Visits Atlanta in Marquee Wednesday Matchup - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Philadelphia Union at Mapfre Stadium Tomorrow in Midweek Showdown - Columbus Crew SC
- Altidore Injury Update - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Unveils Schedule of 2018 BMO Soccer Celebration Summer Tour - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Agrees to Youth Affiliation with Northwest United FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Sporting Kansas City - Atlanta United FC
- Montreal Impact Midfielder Ignacio Piatti Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Ignacio Piatti Named Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Defeats Chicago Fire, Ties MLS Points Record
- Atlanta United Clinches 2019 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Berth
- Atlanta United Sets New MLS Attendance Records
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United to Host American Family Insurance Dream Tryouts