Sounders FC Captain Nicolas Lodeiro and Frontline Worker Representatives Hoist Space Needle Flag as Part of "All in WA"
SEATTLE, WASH. - This morning, Sounders FC captain NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro took part in a flag raising event atop the Space Needle, hoisting a flag alongside three frontline workers as part of the statewide kickoff of All In WA.
Announced earlier today, All In WA is a coordinated, statewide relief effort powered by a coalition of companies, philanthropic leaders, community foundations, United Way organizations, community leaders, frontline nonprofits, individuals and public officials to support impacted workers and families who have been acutely affected by the COVID-19 crisis. All In WA will help address the needs of a range of causes and communities, including those facing food shortages, health disparities, those in need of housing assistance, small businesses, families and children, and essential workers.
"The Sounders organization remains committed to doing our part to mitigate the profound effects of the COVID-19 crisis on our region," said Sounders FC Senior Vice President of Legal and External Affair Maya Mendoza-Exstrom. "With our Sounders FC Relief Fund, we have been humbled by our fans and supporters who have made direct contributions, by our players who have helped raise funds in creative ways, and by individuals and organizations outside of our market who have all contributed to help us do our part to help the communities we rely upon as a team. However, we know our single relief fund alone is not enough on this long journey forward to recovery. We are so proud and happy to stand with the Seattle Foundation, a champion of collective impact through philanthropy for many years, to support the All In WA campaign."
To kick off the campaign and illustrate the unifying purpose behind All In WA, seven coordinated flag raisings took place across the state this morning, beginning in Olympia, where Governor Jay Inslee and First Lady Trudi Inslee raised a flag at the Capitol, and continuing at iconic locations in Bellingham, Seattle, Spokane, Vancouver, Wenatchee and Yakima.
In Seattle, Lodeiro was joined at the Space Needle by three frontline workers: Michael Allan, a firefighter with Kirkland Fire Department, where he was one of the first responders that was exposed to COVID-19 at the beginning of the crisis in Washington; and Sydney Hanson and Vincente Yu, Registered Nurses with EvergreenHealth in Kirkland who have been involved in healthcare efforts since the beginning of the outbreak. Wearing face masks and observing proper distancing, these four Seattle-area representatives raised the All In WA flag to fly above the city.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 27, 2020
- FC Dallas Celebrates the Class of 2020 with a Virtual Graduation for More Than 250 FCD High School Seniors - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Captain Nicolas Lodeiro and Frontline Worker Representatives Hoist Space Needle Flag as Part of "All in WA" - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and the LAFC Foundation to Host Second Black & Gold Blood Drive in Partnership with Banc of California - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF Participating in EduCup Challenge - Inter Miami CF
- Ingram Sees the Long Game in MLS Adventure - Nashville SC
- Final West End Stadium Seat Design Released; Choice Determined Via Fan Vote and Feedback - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Opens MLS Is Back Tournament with Scoreless Draw against San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC and JOEtv to Produce Live Post-Match Show During MLS Is Back Tournament
- Schedule Changes for Sounders FC Announced in MLS Is Back Tournament
- Sounders FC Announces WaFd Bank as Jersey Sleeve Patch Partner for 2020 Season
- RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Unite with Symetra Life Insurance Company to Renovate Public Multi-Purpose Recreation Space for Youth