Sounders FC Announces WaFd Bank as Jersey Sleeve Patch Partner for 2020 Season
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today announced that it is expanding its relationship with WaFd Bank, the club's exclusive banking partner since 2018, as the financial institution becomes the club's sleeve patch partner on Sounders FC kits for the 2020 season.
Major League Soccer opened the left jersey sleeve for sponsored patches beginning in 2020, with five clubs signing deals prior to the season. Ahead of its MLS is Back Tournament, the league has provided clubs with the opportunity to secure partners for both jersey sleeves and, in select cases, club shorts.
WaFd Bank's partnership with the Rave Green includes patches on both sleeves of all Sounders FC kits throughout the duration of the MLS is Back Tournament, and WaFd Bank will remain as the left jersey sleeve partner for any matches played following the tournament.
"We're excited to expand our partnership with WaFd Bank, adding them as the Rave Green's jersey sleeve partner this season," said Sounders FC President of Business Operations Peter Tomozawa. "WaFd Bank has been an active and engaged partner since joining with the Sounders, including working with the club to support important community initiatives. We're proud to continue this strong relationship by integrating WaFd Bank in this new way."
WaFd Bank, formerly known as Washington Federal, joined Sounders FC's family of partners in 2018. The homegrown Seattle-area bank was established in 1917 as Ballard Savings and Loan Association. WaFd Bank is now a national bank with a branch network in eight western states.
"Our partnership with Sounders FC continues to build on both fan involvement as well as community support and commitment to the Seattle Sounders FC Relief Fund during the pandemic. We appreciate this exciting opportunity as we celebrate the return of MLS," said Brad Goode, Director of Marketing and Communications at WaFd Bank.
Sounders FC's innovative partnership with WaFd Bank has included goalkeeper Stefan Frei - a passionate and talented artist off the field - creating a design for an official co-branded debit card available to WaFd Bank customers, as well as WaFd Bank funding the "Saves for Youth" program each season, where the bank donates $250 to RAVE Foundation, Sounders FC's official charitable arm, for each Sounders FC save during the regular season.
Recently, WaFd Bank generously provided an additional fundraising opportunity supporting the club's COVID-19 community relief fund, providing Frei with a large board used during the renovation of WaFd Bank headquarters on which to create an original work of art. The finished piece was auctioned off, with all proceeds benefiting the Seattle Sounders FC Relief Fund.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 8, 2020
- Major League Soccer Unveils Special 2020 Official Match Ball Ahead of MLS Is Back Tournament - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Announce Formation of Safe Sport Advisory Board - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- By the Numbers: #MLSisBack - Orlando City SC
- New England Revolution Sign Defender/Midfielder Matt Polster from Rangers FC - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires up to $200,000 in General Allocation Money from New England Revolution for Matt Polster's MLS Rights - Chicago Fire
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Announce FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast - Philadelphia Union
- New York City FC Announce Traveling Roster for "MLS Is Back Tournament" - New York City FC
- Watch It Live Presented by Phillips Brewing & Malting Co. - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Secure Wearable Sponsors for 2020 Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Our New Game Day: Second Screen Viewing Party, Altitude Coverage and More - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Signs First Three Homegrown Players in Club History - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Announces WaFd Bank as Jersey Sleeve Patch Partner for 2020 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Shoulder Programming for MLS Is Back Tournament - FC Cincinnati
- Storylines: Inter Miami CF vs. Orlando - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Major League Soccer Announces Schedule for 2020 Continuation of Play
- Seattle Bows out of MLS Is Back Tournament with 4-1 Loss to LAFC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Los Angeles FC - July 27, 2020
- Sounders FC to Face Los Angeles FC in Knockout Stage of MLS Is Back Tournament
- Sounders FC Secures Passage to Knockout Round of MLS Is Back Tournament with 3-0 Victory over Vancouver