Sounders FC Announces Establishment of Club-Sponsored GSBA Scholarship Through 2020
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced the establishment of the Sounders FC GSBA Scholarship, which, from 2018-2020, is set to provide $10,000 per year to a selected GSBA Scholar as part of the club's strong, continuing commitment to supporting the LGBTQ and allied community in the Puget Sound region.
Sounders FC goalkeeper Bryan Meredith (left) presented the inaugural Sounders FC GSBA Scholarship to Fredrick Anex-Schnauss (right) at the annual GSBA Scholars Dinner on May 18, 2018. (Mary Grace McKernan)
"We are thrilled to support the GSBA Scholarship Fund through the new Sounders FC GSBA Scholarship," said Sounders FC owner Adrian Hanauer. "Our organization has always been passionate about both inclusivity and equality in sport, so deepening our connection to the LGBTQ community by honoring deserving students in a way that also celebrates diversity is a perfect fit. It's important for us to continue using our unique platform in sports to champion equality and we're excited to be a part of the work GSBA does on that front."
The GSBA Scholarship Fund grants scholarships to LGBTQ and allied students who exhibit leadership potential, demonstrate strong academic abilities and are actively involved in their schools and communities. The Sounders FC GSBA Scholarship awards $10,000 to a student planning to study business or philanthropy, with an interest in making an impact in their community. Preference for the award is given to students interested in sports business or community outreach who are from underserved communities targeted by RAVE Foundation. So long as the selected student remains in good academic standing, they are eligible to receive the Sounders FC scholarship in successive years.
"Sounders FC's commitment and investment in our next generation of leaders is truly remarkable," said Travis Mears, Director of Development & Scholarship Programs at GSBA. "Over the past three years GSBA's partnership with Sounders FC has not only grown in longevity, but we've worked hard to deepen our relationship. Now with the Sounders FC GSBA Scholarship - we are able to see a visible representation of equality being both good business and a team sport. Sounders FC has become a role model in Seattle, demonstrating their commitment to the LGBTQ+ community not just during Pride Month, but throughout the year."
The inaugural Sounders FC GSBA Scholarship was presented to Fredrick Anex-Schnauss at the 2018 GSBA Scholars Dinner on May 18, where goalkeeper Bryan Meredith was on hand at the scholarship dinner to present Anex-Schnauss and other first-year GSBA Scholars with their awards.
Anex-Schnauss is a queer and trans student from Seattle and attends the University of Washington Tacoma, where they are currently a junior majoring in Business Administration and Management with a minor in Corporate Social Responsibility. While Anex-Schnauss has a passion for working with youth in outdoor education, they aim to use their degree to focus on shifting hiring practices and policies within companies, with the goal of creating workplace access and developing sustainable, just organizations.
Sounders FC is proud to announce the establishment of its scholarship award in conjunction with MLS' Soccer for All campaign, which encourages more inclusive communities and driving positive social change. Seattle has a wide range of activities and activations going on throughout the month of June, including the annual Pride-themed match on June 23, where Anex-Schnauss will be recognized at halftime and fans can take advantage of a unique ticket offer that not only donates $5 to the GSBA Scholarship Fund for every ticket purchased, but also provides the opportunity to claim an exclusive clear Pride-themed fanny pack that is compliant with stadium policy. Additionally, the team is taking part in Seattle Pride on June 24.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 4, 2018
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 4, 2018 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Begin Quest for Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, Host Pride Night at Toyota Park - Chicago Fire
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Louisville City FC - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy set to open 2018 U.S. Open Cup play - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC Announces Establishment of Club-Sponsored GSBA Scholarship Through 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- 19 MLS Players Head to Russia in Search of National Glory at 2018 FIFA World Cup - this Week in MLS - MLS
- Midfielders Andy Polo, David Guzman Named to Final Rosters for 2018 FIFA World Cup - Portland Timbers
- Match Preview: U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round Features Red Bulls and NYCFC - New York Red Bulls
- Charlie Davies Joins New England Revolution as Club Ambassador - New England Revolution
- Giovani and Jonathan Dos Santos Named to Mexico's Roster for 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- MNUFC Falls to SKC on the Road - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Cruises to 4-1 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Announces "Celebrating 10 Years in MLS" Season-Long Campaign
- Sounders FC Concludes Tucson Training Camp with Final Exhibition Match Versus FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Announces Special Way for Fans to Give Back for Team's February 20 International Friendly
- Sounders FC Becomes First Carbon Neutral Professional Soccer Team in North America
- Sounders FC Edged 2-1 by Cascadia Rival Portland in Preseason Friendly in Tucson