Sogard Breaks 1-1 Tie With Double As Sacramento Holds On
Eric Sogard hit an RBI double in the eighth inning and closer Henry Rodriguez survived a ninth-inning threat as the Sacramento River Cats held on for a 3-2 win over the Portland Beavers Thursday night at PGE Park.
Taking a 3-2 lead into the ninth inning, the River Cats turned to Rodriguez, who, with a runner on second base, induced a fly out to the warning track in left field to secure the win and his seventh save of the season.
Chris Carter hit his 14th home run of the season for the River Cats(28-33) who broke a six-game losing streak to the Beavers with Thursday's victory.
Brad Chalk, who has hit safely in six straight games, continued his hot streak with a two-hit night for the Beavers (22-37).
Sacramento reliever John Hunton (3-0) pitched one perfect inning to earn the win.
Adam Russell (2-3) took the loss for the Beavers, giving up two runs on two hits and one walk in one inning of work.
Mike Baxter hit a two-out solo home run into the visitor's bullpen in the first inning to give the Beavers an early 1-0 lead.
The River Cats wasted little time responding to the Baxter home run, knotting the game at 1-1 when Carter led off the second inning with a solo home run to right-center field.
Corey Wimberly singled with one out in the eighth inning and promptly stole second base to set up Sogard for an RBI double. Sogard then advanced to third on a wild pitch and later scored on the second wild pitch of the inning by Russell to give the River Cats a 3-1 lead.
The Beavers pulled to within one in the eighth on a sacrifice fly by Josh Barfield. Craig Cooper scored from third on the play, narrowly avoiding the catcher's tag in the play at the plate.
Beavers starter Cesar Carrillo pitched three innings, giving up one run on three hits and two walks.
Travis Blackley gave up one run in six innings on four hits and three walks. He also struck out six in his start for the River Cats.
The Beavers and River Cats meet again Friday at 7:05 p.m. in the second of their four-game set at PGE Park.
NOTES: Chris Stewart threw out two base runners ... left-hander Aaron Poreda joined the Beavers from Class AA San Antonio Thursday ... Matt Buschmann was transferred to Class AA San Antonio Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 11, 2010
- Z's beat Express behind strong outing by West - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa rallies by Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Falls At New Orleans 6-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Blanked By Royals, 5-0 - Nashville Sounds
- Team Poster Highlights Four-Game Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
- First-Place Grizzlies Return Home for Eight Games - Fresno Grizzlies
- OKC RedHawks Game Notes 6-11-10 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Takes Opener, Runs Winning Streak To Four - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Fall Short Against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sogard Breaks 1-1 Tie With Double As Sacramento Holds On - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss