Smokies Snap Home Skid with 6-1 Win over Jumbo Shrimp
KODAK - An historic streak for the Tennessee Smokies (50-70, 17-34) came to a close as the team won their first home game since July 14th with a 6-1 win over the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (58-61, 29-20) at Smokies Stadium Tuesday night.
In the first frame, the offense poured four runs across. Charcer Burks and Nico Hoerner slashed singles to start the inning. A wild pitch from Kolton Mahoney (L, 4-2) moved runners into scoring position for Tyler Payne who provided an RBI-single for the first run. With a runner on, Eddy Martinez crushed a ball into the Smoky Mountains for a two-run blast.
In his second Double-A start, Smokies LHP Jack Patterson (W, 1-0) hurled 5.2 innings giving up one unearned run. Before his first Smokies start on August 7, Patterson had not given up an earned run in his previous 32.2 innings between Single-A South Bend and Advanced-A Myrtle Beach.
Patterson and his relievers received aid from their defense with four double plays tying their season high. An error from Vimael Machin cost the Smokies a run in the sixth.
Martinez's four RBI fueled the Smokies, and he picked up two of those RBI in the sixth. He stretched the lead out again to 6-1 on a two-run line drive single.
Out of the pen, Smokies RHPs Ben Hecht and Michael Rucker combined for 3.1 scoreless innings and five strikeouts to complete the much anticipated home win.
The two clubs do it all over again Wednesday night 7:00 pm EDT with LHP Luis Lugo (5-0, 3.69) for the Smokies against Jacksonville's RHP Jorge Guzman (6-10, 3.70) at Smokies Stadium. Lugo becomes a fan favorite Wednesday as fans enjoy free beer from first pitch until the opposing team scores a run with the purchase of a refillable mason jar on Free Beer night.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Barons Hand Braves Loss in Homestand Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Blistering Offense Torches Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Runs Scored Early in Lookouts Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Seven for Seven - Biloxi Cruises to Seventh Straight Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuit Jacks Topple Generals, 5-2 - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Snap Home Skid with 6-1 Win over Jumbo Shrimp - Tennessee Smokies
- Smokies Top Shrimp 6-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Homer Thrice, Top Generals, 5-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tyler Carpenter Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Gameday: August 13 vs. Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights August 13 Through 17 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 13 at Tennessee - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tennessee Smokies Stories
- Tennessee Smokies Announce Pitching & Catching Camp to be Hosted at Smokies Stadium September 15 and 16
- Tennessee Smokies Announce 2020 Fall Ball Registration
- Tennessee Smokies Announce Cancellation of Great Smoky Mountain AutoFest
- Tennessee Smokies Announce Cancellation of Tennessee Smokies Beerfest
- Tennessee Smokies Announce East Tennessee High School Baseball League All-Star Game Rosters