Biscuit Jacks Topple Generals, 5-2
Chattanooga, Tenn. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, were fed a dose of their own medicine by the Montgomery Biscuits on Tuesday, dropping a 5-2 series opener at The Ballpark at Jackson. The Generals (68-50, 29-19 Second Half) fell two-and-a-half games behind Montgomery (77-44, 33-18) in the North Division race for the Second Half title.
Home runs were the determining factor of the night for Bo Takahashi (8-6, 3.87 ERA) and the Jackson pitching staff. Montgomery's Josh Lowe powered a three-run shot to right field in the second inning to give Montgomery a 3-0 lead, and Rene Pinto added a solo jack with two outs in the fifth to extend their lead to 4-2 at the time. Takahashi only allowed five hits, but those two cost him, and he departed after six innings and 82 pitches in 95-degree heat. Kevin McCanna threw two scoreless frames in relief, but Sam Lewis, in his first appearance with Jackson since May, conceded a solo homer to Taylor Walls in the ninth inning that made the Biscuits' lead 5-2.
At the plate, the Generals struggled against right-hander Paul Campbell (7-4, 3.21 ERA), who allowed Jackson's only two runs in the third inning. A two-out walk by Ryan Grotjohn gave Daulton Varsho a chance, and the reigning Southern League Player of the Week doubled home Grotjohn to bring in Jackson's first run and cut the lead to 3-1. Pavin Smith followed by smoking a single to right field that scored Varsho and closed the gap to 3-2. That's as close as Jackson got, as just three of the next 19 men to the plate reached base. The Montgomery bullpen of Brian Shaffer, Ivan Pelaez, and Tyler Zombro (S, 9) allowed just one hit over the final four innings. Smith's two-hit game was the only multi-hit effort, and Varsho's double was the only extra-base hit.
UP AND COMING AT
Generals vs. Montgomery Biscuits
(AA, Tampa Bay Rays) and
Tennessee Smokies (AA, Chicago Cubs)
...featuring two Dollar Night Thursdays (August 15 & 22), plus Turn Back the Clock Night (August 17)!
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Barons Hand Braves Loss in Homestand Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Blistering Offense Torches Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Runs Scored Early in Lookouts Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Seven for Seven - Biloxi Cruises to Seventh Straight Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuit Jacks Topple Generals, 5-2 - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Snap Home Skid with 6-1 Win over Jumbo Shrimp - Tennessee Smokies
- Smokies Top Shrimp 6-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Homer Thrice, Top Generals, 5-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tyler Carpenter Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Gameday: August 13 vs. Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights August 13 Through 17 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 13 at Tennessee - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- A June Update from the Jackson Generals
- Baseball Is Back: the Ballpark at Jackson to Host High School Baseball Tournaments
- Southern League Announces Cancelation of 2020 All-Star Events in Jackson
- Generals Box Office and Team Store to Close Through April
- Generals Official Statement on Coronavirus