Smokies Top Shrimp 6-1
KODAK, Tenn. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (58-62, 29-21) fell to the Tennessee Smokies (50-70, 17-34) by a 6-1 score in the first game of the five-game series at Smokies Stadium on Tuesday night.
Tennessee left-handed starting pitcher Jack Patterson (1-0) earned his first Double-A victory. The Cubs No. 27 prospect five and two-thirds innings where he allowed one run (no earned runs) on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts. Jacksonville right-handed starting pitcher Kolton Mahoney (4-2) took the loss, pitching six innings where he allowed six runs (all earned) on seven hits with a walk and eight strikeouts.
Tennessee took an early 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first. The scoring started with an RBI single from Tyler Payne, quickly followed by a wild pitch that scored Nico Hoerner from third to grow the lead to 2-0. Eddy Martinez followed with a two-run home run to center field to put the Tennessee lead at 4-0.
With two outs in the top of the sixth, a throwing error from Tennessee shortstop Vimael Machin allowed Jacksonville's Brian Miller to reach second base, and score Jazz Chisholm from third to get Jacksonville on the board at a 4-1 score. Tennessee responded in the bottom of the sixth inning with Eddy Martinez delivering a two-out two-RBI single to left to grow the lead to 6-1, which would be the final.
Jacksonville's offense saw scoring opportunities squashed by hitting into four double plays in the game. The Jumbo Shrimp also left nine men on base and hit 0-for-11 as a club with runners in scoring position.
The loss ends Jacksonville's four-game winning streak, and ends Tennessee's five-game losing streak. The win for the Smokies also ended a 12-game home losing streak, and the Smokies won for the first time at Smokies Stadium since July 14 when the Smokies defeated the Mobile BayBears 6-1.
The Jumbo Shrimp and Smokies will continue the series with the second game of the five-game set at Smokies Stadium on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. Right-handed pitcher Jorge Guzman (6-10, 3.70 ERA) will start for Jacksonville against Tennessee left-handed pitcher Luis Lugo (5-0, 3.69 ERA). Fans can listen to the game on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 6:45 p.m. with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on Sunny 102.3 FM, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Barons Hand Braves Loss in Homestand Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Blistering Offense Torches Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Runs Scored Early in Lookouts Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Seven for Seven - Biloxi Cruises to Seventh Straight Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuit Jacks Topple Generals, 5-2 - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Snap Home Skid with 6-1 Win over Jumbo Shrimp - Tennessee Smokies
- Smokies Top Shrimp 6-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Homer Thrice, Top Generals, 5-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tyler Carpenter Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Gameday: August 13 vs. Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights August 13 Through 17 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 13 at Tennessee - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp to Host Swing for Your Seats on September 19
- Jumbo Shrimp Win Southern League Promotional Trophy; O'Brien Earns Sports Media Award
- Tommy Eveld Named BC S.L. Relief Pitcher of Month for August
- Jacksonville's Season Ends with 2-1 Loss
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 31 at Jackson