Slammers Steal Game Late, Beat Boomers 3-2
JOLIET, IL - A good start from Keagan Long and some clutch base running late from Riley Krane pushed the Joliet Slammers over the Schaumburg Boomers on Saturday night.
Following a scoreless 1st, the Boomers picked up their first run of the game on a solo home run to right field from Nick Oddo. The Slammers failed to respond in their half, ending the 2nd 1-0.
Four scoreless innings ensued, as Long surrendered just two hits from innings 3-7. Capitalizing on their starter's outing, the Slammers broke through in the bottom of the 7th on a two-run home run to left-center from Jimmy Roche, giving the Slammers a 2-1 lead heading into the 8th.
Relieving Long in the top of the 8th and inheriting a runner at first, Isaac Sanchez loaded the bases with no outs after walking the next two batters. Following a Chase Dawson strike out, Quincy Nieporte came to the plate and tied the game on a sacrifice fly to center, allowing Alex Polston to score from third. Sanchez stopped the bleeding, striking out Matt Rose on the next at-bat, keeping the score at 2-2.
The Slammers answered in the bottom of the 8th on a strange play. After Krane reached first on a walk, Oliver Nunez attempted a sacrifice bunt to move him to second. Krane reached second and Nunez was thrown out at first, but when the Boomers infield did not call timeout and began to walk towards first, Krane ran from second, and reached home. Dylan Stutsman sat down the next two Slammers hitters on strikeouts, and the Slammers took a 3-2 lead into the 9th.
Relieving Sanchez in the top of the 9th, Ryan Koziol mowed down the bottom of the Boomers' order to secure his second save in this home series.
Tonight's Merchants and Manufacturers Bank Player of the Game is Keegan Long (7.0 IP, 4 SO, 3 H, and 2 R).
The Slammers will face the Boomers again tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. at DuPage Medical Group Field as they look to sweep the series.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 3, 2019
- Otters' Offense Held in Check in Loss to Miners - Evansville Otters
- Miners Win 700th Game, Take Series from Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Win Third Straight on Two Lowery Homers - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Shutout in Loss to Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers leave 10 on base in 1-0 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- Joliet Squeezes Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Steal Game Late, Beat Boomers 3-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Rascals Blank Crushers - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Walked off by Freedom, Late Leads Lost in Nightcap - Washington Wild Things
- Wild Things Take Game 1 of DH Behind Pitching, Three Homers - Washington Wild Things
- Miners' Late Offensive Outburst Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Roll Past Washington - Florence Y'alls
- Woodcock Homers Twice, Grizzlies Win 7-4 - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Joliet Slammers Stories
- Frontier League Designated as Partner League of Mlb
- Parreira' Blast, Bullpen's Effort Fuel Slammers' 4-3 Win over NERDS Herd
- Vaughan, Procyshen and McSteen Shine in Slammers' 5-2 Win
- Jones' Dominant Start Lifts Tully Monsters Past NERDS Herd, 6-0
- Headean's Complete Game Shutout Leads Slammers over Tully Monsters 5-0