ThunderBolts Shutout in Loss to Gateway
CRESTWOOD, IL - Chris Washington pitched seven strong innings but the ThunderBolts offense was shut down by the Gateway Grizzlies pitching staff as the Bolts dropped their third straight game, 5-0 at Ozinga Field Saturday night.
Luke Lowery led off the second inning for Gateway (31-38) with a solo home run to give the Grizzlies a lead that would carry through the rest of the game.
The ThunderBolts (29-42) had several good scoring chances early in the game but couldn't break through. They left the bases loaded in the second inning and stranded at least one runner in scoring position in four of the first five innings.
Brynn Martinez hit his league-leading seventh triple of the year with one out in the bottom of the fifth but Chris Cardin came up with a well-timed strike out to help him out of the inning. The ThunderBolts did not get another baserunner as the final 14 batters were retired.
After Washington had allowed only three hits through the first six innings, Gateway started to pull away in the seventh. Lowery's second homer of the night made it 2-0 and a Dustin Woodcock double put the Grizzlies up by three runs.
Gateway got RBI singles from Luis Roman and Brent Sakurai in the final two frames to finish the scoring.
Carden (6-2) struck out nine over seven shutout innings for the win and Washington threw his third straight quality start, lasting seven frames, but took the loss.
The ThunderBolts look to avoid the sweep on Sunday evening. Hayden Shenefield (1-0, 6.59) gets the start for the Bolts against Gateway's Jordan Barrett (3-5, 4.57). It is JULIE, Inc. Family Sunday with postgame autographs and catch on the field, and a Medix Military Game. First pitch is scheduled for 5:05 and the radio broadcast can be heard on WXAV, 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 3, 2019
- Otters' Offense Held in Check in Loss to Miners - Evansville Otters
- Miners Win 700th Game, Take Series from Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Win Third Straight on Two Lowery Homers - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Shutout in Loss to Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers leave 10 on base in 1-0 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- Joliet Squeezes Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Steal Game Late, Beat Boomers 3-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Rascals Blank Crushers - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Walked off by Freedom, Late Leads Lost in Nightcap - Washington Wild Things
- Wild Things Take Game 1 of DH Behind Pitching, Three Homers - Washington Wild Things
- Miners' Late Offensive Outburst Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Roll Past Washington - Florence Freedom
- Woodcock Homers Twice, Grizzlies Win 7-4 - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.