Rascals Blank Crushers
AVON, Ohio - The River City Rascals won the middle game of their series 1-0 over the Lake Erie Crushers on Saturday night, taking the 2-0 series lead in the process. Trevor Achenbach drove in the lone run of the game on an RBI single in the sixth, following a double from LJ Kalawaia. The Crushers left 10 runners stranded on base in the loss.
Rascals starter Alex Winkelman (7-2) went 5 2/3 scoreless innings, striking out six Lake Erie hitters. The Rascals bullpen combined for 3 1/3 scoreless innings to close out the game, with closer Jason Zgardowski picking up his 10th save of season.
Crushers starter Paul Hall Jr. (1-1) suffered the loss, allowing the single run over 6 2/3 innings with four strikeouts.
Former MLB outfielder Coco Crisp was the designated hitter for the Crushers in the game as part of a promotion, going 1-3 on the night.
The Rascals (40-32) look for the series sweep over the Crushers (37-32) tomorrow afternoon, with first pitch set for 2:05 p.m. CDT from Sprenger Stadium. Taylor Ahearn is set to take the mound for the series finale.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 3, 2019
- Otters' Offense Held in Check in Loss to Miners - Evansville Otters
- Miners Win 700th Game, Take Series from Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Win Third Straight on Two Lowery Homers - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Shutout in Loss to Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers leave 10 on base in 1-0 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- Joliet Squeezes Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Steal Game Late, Beat Boomers 3-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Rascals Blank Crushers - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Walked off by Freedom, Late Leads Lost in Nightcap - Washington Wild Things
- Wild Things Take Game 1 of DH Behind Pitching, Three Homers - Washington Wild Things
- Miners' Late Offensive Outburst Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Roll Past Washington - Florence Freedom
- Woodcock Homers Twice, Grizzlies Win 7-4 - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.