Silver Knights Spear Ambush 9-5
St. Charles, MO - The St. Louis Ambush dropped a 9-5 contest to the Syracuse Silver Knights Friday night at the Family Arena, dropping the Ambush to 2-12 on the season, while Syracuse improved to 6-5.
After a scoreless first quarter, Syracuse got on the board when Ambush goalkeeper Paulo came out to make a save and while the ball was pinballing around in front of the goal, Joey Tavernese managed to fire it into the open net at 5:03 of the second quarter. Stefan St. Louis scored the equalizer for the Ambush when he took a pass from Joao Pepe and executed a beautiful backheel kick into the goal at 7:38. With neither team scoring again, the score remained knotted 1-1 at halftime.
Ambush player/coach Hewerton scored the go-ahead goal just 43 seconds into the third quarter. Slavisa Ubiparipovic tied things up again with his goal for the Silver Knights at 2:04, followed by another from Joey Tavernese at 3:35. The visitors would increase their lead to 4-2 when Liam Callahan found the back of the net at 7:26. At 12:28, Ambush goalkeeper Paulo went down after tripping over a downed Syracuse player, enabling Ben Ramin to score with little effort to make the score 5-2. The Silver Knights weren't done yet, as Nate Bourdeau scored at 14:17 to end the third quarter with Syracuse enjoying a 6-2 lead.
Clayton "Pedaleira" Matheus scored for the Ambush at 2:13 to reduce the deficit to three goals (6-3). Less than a minute later (2:54), a shot by Corey Adamson hit the board, but Adamson followed the shot skillfully and was able to get a foot on the rebound and convert it into a goal at 2:54. Tavernese got one back for Syracuse when the Ambush employed the sixth attacker and Tavernese scored an empty-netter at 11:03 to regain a three-point lead (7-4). The Ambush answered with Adamson's second tally of the night at 13:17. Syracuse answered quickly, with Kenardo Forbes scoring at 14:12. With a three-goal lead and less than a minute remaining, Ubiparipovic sunk an empty-netter with seven seconds remaining to cinch the 9-5 win for Syracuse.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 22, 2018
- San Diego Sockers Match Report - Sockers End Losing Streak with 8-6 - San Diego Sockers
- BARRACUDAS MUNCH ON EXPRESS - Brownsville Barracudas
- Andrew Coughlin's Career Day Leads Syracuse to Victory over St. Louis - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Ambush Lose Second of the Weekend to Syracuse - St. Louis Ambush
- Mke Wave Tank Syracuse Silver Knights; Playoff Position Clinched. - Milwaukee Wave
- Syracuse Shutout by Milwaukee - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Syracuse Outlasts St. Louis for First Victory on Three-Game Road Trip - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Silver Knights Spear Ambush 9-5 - St. Louis Ambush
- Blast Defeat Kansas City 15-8 - Baltimore Blast
- Barracudas Add Three to the Roster - Brownsville Barracudas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.