Sea Dogs Blank Rock Cats, 8-0
(New Britain, CT)- After five innings of scoreless baseball, the Portland Sea Dogs' bats came alive in the top of the sixth. The Sea Dogs scored five runs on five hits in that inning, getting all of the offense they needed in an 8-0 win over the New Britain Rock Cats. Felix Doubront, Tommy Hottovy, and Ryne Lawson combined to blank the Rock Cats on four hits.
Portland's Felix Doubront and New Britain's David Bromberg got the calls to start for their respective clubs, and both pitchers certainly brought their best to the table on this night. Doubront went four scoreless innings, allowing three hits and two walks, while striking out six. Bromberg went five scoreless innings, allowing three hits and two walks, while striking out two. Both starters received no-decisions.
In the top of the sixth inning, the Rock Cats made a pitching change, turning the ball over to Joe Testa. The New Britain reliever was greeted rather rudely by the Portland offense, as six consecutive batters reached base. Luis Exposito and Lars Anderson led the rally with RBI singles, as the Sea Dogs built a 5-0 lead.
Steve Hirschfeld took over for Testa, and despite a scoreless seventh inning, his night wasn't much better. Ray Chang knocked in the sixth Portland run with an RBI double, and scored the seventh run on the very next pitch, when Chih-Hsien Chiang doubled him in. The Sea Dogs added one more run in the eighth, putting the exclamation point on an 8-0 win.
Tommy Hottovy was spectacular out of the Portland bullpen, earning the win, allowing just one hit and one walk, while striking out five, in three innings of work. Ryne Lawson followed up Hottovy with two perfect innings, completing the shutout.
The Sea Dogs and Rock Cats will conclude their three-game series on Wednesday morning at 10:35. Ryne Miller (0-0) will make his second start of the season for Portland, going up against New Britain's Carlos Gutierrez (0-0).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 13, 2010
- Britton Vetoes Senators - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Take Marathon Game Two, 1-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Fall to Fisher Cats 5-2 Tuesday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Harrison's Walk Off Lifts Curve to Win in 14 Innings - Altoona Curve
- Senators Nipped by Bowie 2-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Drop Second Straight to Akron - Trenton Thunder
- Three B-Mets Hurlers Combine on 2-0 Shutout of Winless Erie - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Kibler Strong But 'Wolves Fall - Erie SeaWolves
- Luis Perez Flirts With No-Hitter As Fisher Cats Win 5-2 In Reading - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Blank Rock Cats, 8-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Portland 8-0 Winners Over The Rock Cats - New Britain Rock Cats
- Come See Phillippe Aumont Vs. Kyle Drabek On Wednesday, April 14 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Erie SeaWolves At Binghamton Mets...Game Two Of Three...Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- What's New At Hadlock Field - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.