Portland 8-0 Winners Over The Rock Cats
NEW BRITAIN, CT - For the first time of the season, New Britain managed to escape the first inning unscathed. The wheels fell off in the later innings, though, as Portland broke out for five runs in the sixth and went on to blank the Rock Cats, 8-0 on Tuesday night. The Rock Cats are still in search of the first victory of the 2010 season.
Things starting off promising from a pitching stand point in the early going. Rock Cats' right hander David Bromberg, making his Double A debut, walked the first batter he faced before allowing a base hit up the middle to Che-Hsuan Lin to put runners on first and second with no outs. Bromberg forced Nate Spears into a double play and struck out Luis Exposito to put a zero up on the scoreboard in the top of the first for the first time this year.
From that point, the game turned into a pitcher's duel between Bromberg and Felix Doubront.
Doubront blanked the Rock Cats through four innings, allowing three hits. He struck out six. Meanwhile, Bromberg turned in an impressive first start as he scattered three hits over five shutout innings. He walked two and struck out two before turning the ball over to the bullpen.
The Sea Dogs battered Rock Cats' reliever Joe Testa around for five runs (4 ER) on four hits in the sixth. Testa (0-1) hit the first batter he faced, Lin, before allowing four consecutive singles, including RBI singles to Exposito and Lars Anderson. With the bases loaded, a throwing error by second baseman Steve Singleton allowed two more runs to cross home plate for the 4-0 advantage. Chih-Hsien Chiang added a sacrifice fly RBI.
Portland tacked on two more runs in the top of the eighth on back-to-back RBI doubles by Ray Chang and Chiang.
Tommy Hottovy (1-0) picked up the win with three shutout innings in relief for Portland. He struck out five.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 13, 2010
- Britton Vetoes Senators - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Take Marathon Game Two, 1-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Fall to Fisher Cats 5-2 Tuesday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Harrison's Walk Off Lifts Curve to Win in 14 Innings - Altoona Curve
- Senators Nipped by Bowie 2-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Drop Second Straight to Akron - Trenton Thunder
- Three B-Mets Hurlers Combine on 2-0 Shutout of Winless Erie - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Kibler Strong But 'Wolves Fall - Erie SeaWolves
- Luis Perez Flirts With No-Hitter As Fisher Cats Win 5-2 In Reading - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Blank Rock Cats, 8-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Portland 8-0 Winners Over The Rock Cats - New Britain Rock Cats
- Come See Phillippe Aumont Vs. Kyle Drabek On Wednesday, April 14 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Erie SeaWolves At Binghamton Mets...Game Two Of Three...Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- What's New At Hadlock Field - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Rock Cats Stories
- Rock Cats to Hold Season Ending Blowout Sale Tomorrow and Friday
- Dramatic Patterson Walk-Off HR Lifts Lid off New Britain Stadium in Rock Cats Finale
- DÃ©ja Vu: Morneau's Homer Wins It for Rock Cats
- Rock Cats Set New Single Game Attendance Record at New Britain Stadium 8,672
- Morneau Returns Before Record Crowd, But Cats Lose