Scrappers Shut Out Crosscutters In Rain Shortened Game
(Williamsport, PA)-The Mahoning Valley Scrappers came out on fire on Tuesday night in Williamsport. The Scrappers raced out to a three run lead in the top of the first and never looked back. After scoring six runs in the first four innings, the Scrappers would pick up a rain shortened win, 7-0 over the Williamsport Crosscutters.
Mahoning Valley got the offense going right away in the first. Korey Holland singled to start the game. He would then move to second when Brayan Rocchio reached on a fielding error. Ray Delgado followed with a single to load the bases. With one out, Michael Cooper opened the scoring. Cooper delivered a single to bring home Holland and Rocchio. Johnathan Rodriguez would follow with an RBI groundout to push the Scrappers lead to 3-0.
In the top of the second inning it was a Rocchio RBI double, one of five Scrappers doubles in the game that brought in Holland with another run.
Eric Rodriguez added an RBI double in the third to push the lead out to 5-0. The Scrappers would make it 6-0 in the fourth thanks to an RBI double from George Valera. The final run of the game came on caught stealing at second base by Delgado, but the throw allowed Rocchio to score from third.
Matt Turner (1-2) was dominant on the mound. He earned his first win of the season by going all five innings. Turner allowed just three hits while striking out two.
The Scrappers (10-8) and Crosscutters conclude their series on Wednesday night at 7:05 in Williamsport. The Scrappers return home for the Fourth of July on Thursday night when State College comes to Eastwood Field. First pitch is set for 7:05. Get your tickets now at mvscrappers.com or by calling 330-505-0000 or visiting the Chevy All-Stars box office at Eastwood Field.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from July 2, 2019
- Pitching Stellar as 'Cats Down Yankees 2-1 - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Spikes Strong on Mound, Muckdogs Take 1-0 Decision - State College Spikes
- No Ordinary Joe - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spinners Tightrope to Tight 1-0 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Crosscutters Fall in Rain-Shortened Game - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Vermont Blanked Again Tuesday 1-0 At Lowell - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Scrappers Shut Out Crosscutters In Rain Shortened Game - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Tonight's Game against Aberdeen Has Been Suspended - Connecticut Tigers
- Cyclones Drop Opener at the Dutch, 3-2 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Scrappers Return to Eastwood Field July 4-9 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Staten Island Slugs Their Way Past the ValleyCats in Series Opener - Staten Island Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mahoning Valley Scrappers Stories
- Warren Rotary Hosts Fall Fest at Eastwood Field this Saturday, October 12
- Warren Rotary Hosts Fall Fest at Eastwood Field on October 12
- Trick Or Treat at Eastwood Field Set for October 23rd
- Scrappers Schedule Set for 2020 Season
- Scrappers Final Regular Season Homestand August 28-September 2