Scrappers Blank Crosscutters For Series Win
(Williamsport, PA)-The Mahoning Valley Scrappers followed up a rain shortened shutout win over the Williamsport Crosscutters on Tuesday night with a pitching dominated 2-0 shutout win on Wednesday night. Ethan Hankins started and dominated while the NYPL's top closer, Tim Herrin, earned his league best fifth save.
Mahoning Valley got what would end up being the winning run in the top of the fourth inning. With one out Billy Wilson doubled. After advancing to third on a ground out, he would come in to score the eventual winning run on an RBI single from Pedro Alfonseca.
The Scrappers doubled their lead in the top of the eighth inning. Brayan Rocchio started the inning with a triple off the wall in right. Ray Delgado followed with an RBI sacrifice fly to push the lead out to the final of 2-0.
The Crosscutters best chance at scoring came in the bottom of the eighth inning. Williamsport would load the bases with no outs. The Scrappers would then bring in Herrin from the bullpen. He would get the first out on a weak line drive to Rocchio at short. Herrin then induced a groundball double play to end the inning and the last Williamsport threat.
Hankins took a no decision in 4.1 innings of work. He allowed 4 hits while walking 1 and striking out 6. Francis Cespedes (2-0) picked up the win in 2.0 innings of work. Cespedes did not allow a hit while walking 1and striking 1. Luis Valdez followed with 0.2 innings of relief. He allowed 1 hit and walked 1 while striking out 1. Herrin (5) earned the save with 2.0 innings of perfect relief.
The Scrappers (11-8) now return home for the Fourth of July on Thursday night when State College comes to Eastwood Field. Jhonneyver Gutierrez will get the start. First pitch is set for 7:05. Get your tickets now at mvscrappers.com or by calling 330-505-0000 or visiting the Chevy All-Stars box office at Eastwood Field.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from July 3, 2019
- Spikes, Schlesener Set Strikeout Records in 6-4 Win over Muckdogs - State College Spikes
- Aberdeen Blanks Connecticut - Connecticut Tigers
- Staten Island Falls to Tri-City in Pitcher's Duel 2-1 - Staten Island Yankees
- Aberdeen Shuts out Connecticut in Front of Packed House - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Scrappers Take Series Finale on Fireworks Night - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Booting One Away - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Scrappers Blank Crosscutters For Series Win - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Spinners Walk-Off on Single by Legrant in the Bottom of the Ninth - Lowell Spinners
- Vermont Shutout Again 1-0 At Lowell - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Wrestling Under the Stars Returns to Eastwood Field on Saturday, July 20 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Tigers Transfer Jeremiah Burks - Connecticut Tigers
- Days of Our Lives Star Drake Hogestyn "John Black" to Appear at Scrappers Game on August 17 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Genord's Big Night Leads to BKLYN Win - Brooklyn Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mahoning Valley Scrappers Stories
- Warren Rotary Hosts Fall Fest at Eastwood Field this Saturday, October 12
- Warren Rotary Hosts Fall Fest at Eastwood Field on October 12
- Trick Or Treat at Eastwood Field Set for October 23rd
- Scrappers Schedule Set for 2020 Season
- Scrappers Final Regular Season Homestand August 28-September 2