Scorpions Kings Of The Southwest Division
[RIO RANCHO, N.M.]-The Scorpions used a come-from behind victory over Rocky Mountain to win the Southwest Division Saturday night. New Mexico's win coupled with Amarillo 's loss gives the Scorpions their third divisional title in 10 years on the ice.
The Rage came out of the gates as the team with a purpose. Matic Kralj came inside the Scorpions zone and picked up a loose puck and turned it into a goal of his own at the 4:41 mark. Exactly three minutes later, another turnover inside the Scorpions zone ended up in the back of the net. Dominic Noel picked up a rebound and scored his 15th goal of the year jumping Rocky Mountain out to a 2-0 lead.
The Scorpions picked up the offense in the second half of the opening period. New Mexico got on the board when Rob Guinn threw the puck towards the net and Mike Falk deflected it in, cutting the Rage lead in half.
The second period looked nothing like the first. The Scorpions controlled nearly every shift and turned a one-goal deficit into a one-goal lead. The Scorpions rookies have lifted the team all year and it continued with Mike Prpich tying the game up 2:34 into the middle frame. Back to the power play the Scorpions went, and Rob Guinn gave the Scorpions their first lead of the game at the 10:59 mark.
The third period is what some would call the icing on the cake. The Scorpions picked up two more goals from Prpich and Herauf to open the lead up to three goals. Kralj would add a late power play goal cutting the deficit to two.
The Scorpions will finish the regular season with a Sunday afternoon affair in Rocky Mountain. The Scorpions and the Rage will drop the puck at 3 p.m. with the game being broadcast on 1050 KTBL.
New Mexico will return home for games one and two of the playoffs on Friday, March 30 and Saturday, March 31. Call the Scorpions office at (505) 881-PUCK  to reserve your tickets to see the Southwest Division champions in the playoffs.
CLICK HERE FOR TONIGHT'S BOX SCORE
Don't forget to buy your playoff tickets as the Scorpions will look to win their first CHL Championship. Tickets packages available by calling the Scorpions office at (505) 881-PUCK  or by visiting www.scorpionshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2007
- Eagles Lose Final Game 8-4 to Arizona - Colorado Eagles
- Scorpions Kings Of The Southwest Division - New Mexico Scorpions
- Scorpions Clinch Southwest with 5-3 Win Over Rage - Rocky Mountain Rage
- RiverKings close season with loss, playoff foe still undecided - Mississippi RiverKings
- Hounds do their part and and get Tough Victory at Tulsa - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rayz close season, playoffs begin Friday night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Shutout RiverKings 2-0 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Laredo Beats Corpus 5-2, Bucks Simoes Scores Two Goals - Laredo Bucks
- The fans have spoken, All-Time Team announced - Mississippi RiverKings
- Richards on 14 Day IR, Wheaton to Start - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Rage Doubled-up by Sundogs, 8-4 - Rocky Mountain Rage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.