Scorpions Clinch Southwest with 5-3 Win Over Rage
Rio Rancho, N.M. - The New Mexico Scorpions clinched the Central Hockey League's Southwest Division title by defeating the Rocky Mountain Rage, 5-3, behind two goals from Mike Prpich at the Santa Ana Star Center.
The Rage drew first blood at 4:41 of the opening period after Matic Kralj pounced on a rebound for his 14th goal of the season. Dominic Noel made it a 2-0 game when Dorian Anneck forced a turnover and fed his streaking linemate, who finished off the backhand at 7:41. New Mexico cut the advantage in half, though, when Mike Falk converted on the third of three successive power plays for his team at 15:58, and Rocky Mountain took a 2-1 lead to the first intermission.
The Scorpions wasted little time in the second period before tying the game. Prpich lit the lamp off the rush at 2:34. His captain, Rob Guinn, then moved their club in front for the first time with a blast from the point on the power play at 10:59 to give New Mexico a 3-2 edge through 40 minutes.
The Scorpions solidified their advantage in the third period with two more tallies to build a 5-2 lead. Prpich netted the game-winner at 5:45 before Lance Herauf added his 20th of the season at 12:34. Kralj notched his second of the evening in the game's final minute with the Rage on the power play for the 5-3 final.
Rocky Mountain is now winless over its last six (0-5-1) and drops to 16-40-7 on the season. The club remains in fourth place in the Northwest Division with 39 points.
The Rage and Scorpions conclude the 2006-07 regular season tomorrow afternoon with the back half of their home-and-home series at Broomfield Event Center at 3:05 p.m.
Tickets for the final game of Rocky Mountain's inaugural season are still available with prices ranging from $9-$40 per seat. Tickets may be purchased online at www.BroomfieldEventCenter.com, by calling 303-410-TIXS, or at the Broomfield Event Center box office (11450 Broomfield Ln., Broomfield, 80021). For more information, visit www.RockyMountainRage.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2007
- Eagles Lose Final Game 8-4 to Arizona - Colorado Eagles
- Scorpions Kings Of The Southwest Division - New Mexico Scorpions
- Scorpions Clinch Southwest with 5-3 Win Over Rage - Rocky Mountain Rage
- RiverKings close season with loss, playoff foe still undecided - Mississippi RiverKings
- Hounds do their part and and get Tough Victory at Tulsa - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rayz close season, playoffs begin Friday night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Shutout RiverKings 2-0 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Laredo Beats Corpus 5-2, Bucks Simoes Scores Two Goals - Laredo Bucks
- The fans have spoken, All-Time Team announced - Mississippi RiverKings
- Richards on 14 Day IR, Wheaton to Start - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Rage Doubled-up by Sundogs, 8-4 - Rocky Mountain Rage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.