Schooners Swing, Miss in 5-2 Setback
PLYMOUTH - The Schooners struck out a combined 15 times on their way to a 5-2 loss at the hands of the Plymouth Pilgrims.
The Pilgrims struck first off of Schooners starting pitcher Justin Cashman in the bottom of the second. They brought around the first run of the game with an RBI single off the bat of leadoff man Riley Delgado.
The Schooners would answer right back in the top of third to score their only two runs of the ball game. Nick Mascelli led it off with a double to left field. Aaron Hill followed that up with a base hit and eventually advanced to second on a wild pitch. Three batters later Zach Goldstein launched one into deep left field to score both Mascelli and Hill to tie the game up at two at the end of three innings.
No more runs would come across until the Pilgrims got their first three men on in the fifth. The fourth man up Chandler Wagoner sent one into the outfield to bring across two more Pilgrims runs and extend their lead to 4-2 at the end of five.
In the very next inning, Plymouth catcher Christopher Corbett hit a two out RBI single to bring in the fifth run of the game for the Pilgrims and extend their lead to 5-2.
Starting in the fourth, Schooner batters struck out at least twice an inning until the end of the game. Mystic was only able to get four hits on the board, none coming after the fifth inning.
The loss was the third in a row for the Schooners dropping their record to 2-3. They will look to get back on the wining track Tuesday at the Shipyard against a familiar opponent, the Newport Gulls. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05.
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from June 13, 2016
- Waves Defeat Gulls 4-1 at Cardines - Newport Gulls
- Schooners Swing, Miss in 5-2 Setback - Mystic Schooners
- Mountaineers Drop Third Straight - Vermont Mountaineers
- SteepleCats Hold off Danbury Rally - North Adams SteepleCats
- 2016 NECBL Weekly Roundup - NECBL
- Vaughan and Tribucher Are NECBL Week 1 Award Winners - NECBL
- Newport Tops Mystic 8-1 - Mystic Schooners