San Jose Earthquakes Draw 3-3 against Portland Timbers in Tournament Opener
PORTLAND, Ore. - The San Jose Earthquakes battled to a 3-3 draw against the Portland Timbers in the opener of a round-robin preseason tournament on Sunday at JELD-WEN Field.
The Earthquakes received goals from a pair of familiar faces and one of their offseason acquisitions. Reigning Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player Chris Wondolowski and Honduran national team defender Victor Bernardez tallied in the first half while former Timbers forward Mike Fucito tacked on the third in the second half.
San Jose got on the scoreboard first, finding the net in the third minute. The Timbers were whistled for a handball in the box, allowing Wondolowski to slot home a penalty and 1-0 lead.
Portland didn't wait long to find an equalizer. Khalif Alhassan lobbed a cross from the end line that picked out former Earthquakes forward Ryan Johnson in the fifth minute. Johnson got his head to the ball and flicked a shot to the far post. Johnson would double his haul 22 minutes later, poking a shot past Earthquakes goalkeeper Jon Busch after Diego Valeri slotted a pass past the San Jose back line.
Bernardez brought the teams level again toward the end of the first half. Shea Salinas whipped a free kick into the area from 45 yards out and Bernardez rose to win the header, nodding the ball past Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts in the 39th minute.
The frenzied first-half pace transferred over to the second. The Timbers took the lead again in the 53rd minute as Johnson completed his hat trick, chipping a shot on the run to beat Busch, who was off his line.
The scoring didn't stop there. Fucito tapped in a blocked shot from inside the keeper's box in the 60th minute. Tottenham Hotspur midfielder John Bostock created the chance after maneuvering at the top of the area to blast a shot on target, forcing Ricketts to make a save that ricocheted to Fucito.
The Earthquakes will return to action on Wednesday against AIK (Sweden) at 5 p.m. PT. The match will be streamed live at sjearthquakes.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 17, 2013
- San Jose Earthquakes Draw 3-3 against Portland Timbers in Tournament Opener - San Jose Earthquakes
- Paulo Jr. scores twice for Vancouver in preseason play - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Philadelphia Union Enter Final Week in Deltona, Florida - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Forward Landon Donovan Sets Date for Return to the Club - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Heaps Thrilled with Second-Half Response vs. NY - New England Revolution
- Revs Explode in Second Half to Top New York - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Sign SuperDraft Selection Paul Marie
- Earthquakes, Lux Bus America to Offer Free Charter Buses from Downtown San Jose on Match Days
- Stars Vela, Chicharito, Lozano, and J. Dos Santos Headline Osorio's Mexico Squad for Upcoming U.S. Tour Matches in Santa Clara and Arlington
- Hyka Obtains Green Card, No Longer Occupies International Spot
- Earthquakes to Partner with Inter Milan