San Antonio FC Travels to Face LA Galaxy II as Playoff Push Continues
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (10-11-7) will travel to face LA Galaxy II (10-9-9) at Dignity Health Sports Park on Friday, Sept. 20 at 9 p.m. CT. The match marks the first of three in the span of nine days for the Alamo City club as its push for the playoffs continues.
SAFC heads into the match after earning a 3-1 win at home against OKC Energy FC last weekend. Goals from Rafa Castillo and Frank Lopez as well as an Energy own goal propelled the club into 10th place in the Western Conference standings and just two points away from ninth-place LA Galaxy II.
"It's a massive game for the league," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "If you look at both teams, we're very close in the standings going into the game. Everybody knows how important the points are at this stage of the year because they can certainly influence the coming weeks. Our ambition and drive is to make the playoffs and Friday night is an opportunity to earn points against a rival in the table."
Los Dos will look to get a result at home and cushion their playoff hopes after falling on the road to Phoenix Rising FC 1-4 on Saturday, snapping a four-game unbeaten streak for the California club, who will look to build on their 5-4-5 record at home.
The Alamo City club will look to earn three points at Dignity Health Sports Park for the first time on Friday, while forward Frank Lopez will make his return to face his former club for the first time since joining SAFC on loan from Los Dos in July. The Cuban striker scored six goals this season while with the Galaxy II and has scored six more while adding an assist since joining San Antonio FC.
SAFC is 3-1-3 all-time against Los Dos, most recently recording a 2-0 win against the Galaxy II at Toyota Field on April 13. The two clubs have played to a draw in each of their three encounters in Carson, CA, most recently tying 0-0 on March 31, 2018.
Following the match, SAFC will face a quick turnaround as the club travels to face Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Wednesday, Sept. 25 before returning to Toyota Field just three days later as the club hosts Fresno FC during Hispanic Heritage Night, presented by Toyota.
USL Championship Game 29 - San Antonio FC at LA Galaxy II
Date: Friday, Sept. 20, 2019
Kickoff: 9:00 p.m. CT
Stadium: Dignity Health Sports Park
San Antonio FC: 10-11-7 (10th, 37 pts)
LA Galaxy II: 10-9-9, (9th, 39 pts)
All-time Series: The game marks the eighth matchup between the two clubs. SAFC is 3-1-3 all-time against Los Dos and 0-0-3 when facing them on the road.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 19, 2019
- Match Preview at Austin Bold FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Faces Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC with Playoff Seeding on the Line - Nashville SC
- Tacoma Defiance Defender Denso Ulysse Called into Haitian U-23 National Team - Tacoma Defiance
- Loudoun United Fall to Bethlehem Steel 5-2 on the Road - Loudoun United
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Portland Timbers 2 - September 20, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face LA Galaxy II as Playoff Push Continues - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Indy Eleven - Friday, September 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Eastern Conference Showdown as New York Comes to LouCity - Louisville City FC
- Orange County SC Signs U.S. U17 International Bryang Kayo - Orange County SC
- Battery Sign College of Charleston Defender Temi Adesodun - Charleston Battery
- STLFC Academy Kyle Genenbacher Called into USMNT U16 Talent ID Camp - Saint Louis FC
- Steel battle back from a one-goal deficit, twice, to beat Loudoun United FC - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Los Zorros Thrash Toros, 5-0, for Largest Win in Club History - Fresno FC
- Toros Fall 5-0 to Strong Fresno FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- STLFC Wins Fifth in a Row with 2-0 Win over New York Red Bulls II - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Hosts Colorado Springs with Playoff Berth on the Line
- San Antonio FC to Celebrate Final Home Match with $1 Drink Night, Postgame Fireworks Show on Saturday
- San Antonio FC Forward Ever Guzman Named USL Championship Player of the Week
- San Antonio FC Earns Three Crucial Points in Seven-Goal Thriller at Portland
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 in Final Away Match of Regular Season