Toros Fall 5-0 to Strong Fresno FC
FRESNO, California - Rio Grande Valley FC (7-15-7, 28 pts.) fall on the road to Fresno FC (15-5-8, 53 pts.), 5-0.
Fresno FC kicked off the match with a goal by Qudus Lawal in the 6th minute after Jaime Chavez gave him a headed pass. Lawal then took a left footed shot from the center of the box to the bottom left corner, 1-0.
In the 26th minute, Deshane Beckford was fouled in the penalty area. Carlos Small took the penalty where he failed to capitalize after his shot was saved in the bottom right corner by CJ Cochran. Two minutes later, defender Conor Donovan conceded a foul inside the box giving a penalty to Fresno.
Emir Alihodzic converted the penalty after sending it to the bottom right corner past Nico Corti in the 30th minute. The Toros had an opportunity in the 34th minute when Houston Dynamo loanee, Eric Bird, sent a right footed shot from outside the box but missed to the left of the goal.
In the 44th minute, Jackson sent a pass to Chavez where he then took a shot from outside the box to the bottom right corner burying it past Corti, 3-0.
The Foxes continued to pressure RGV FC in the second half. In the 61st minute, Chavez earned his brace when he took a shot from the right side sending the ball to the left back of the net, 4-0. Two minutes later, Lawal also earned his brace following a corner kick where he struck the ball to the top of the goal, 5-0.
In the 69th minute, the Toros had three back-to-back opportunities following a corner kick. First started off with Dynamo loanee, Michael Salazar, but missed. Bird followed up with an attempt but was blocked. Lastly, Kyle Adams took a left footed shot from the left side, but his shot was saved in the bottom left corner.
RGV FC did not give up regardless of the score. Isidro Martinez took a shot from outside the box but was saved in the center of the goal in the 85th minute. During stoppage time, Salazar took a right footed shot from outside the box, but Cochran blocked the shot. In the 93rd minute, Jesus Enriquez attacked the Foxes goal with a dangerous shot from outside the box but was saved in the bottom left corner.
Overall, the Toros ended the night with 13 total shots, four on target. Fresno totaled 17 shots, seven on target.
Despite the road loss, defender Robert Castellanos stood out the most totaling nine clearances, five interceptions and gained six possessions. He also won 78.6 percent of duels tonight leading the squad defensively.
Martinez led the Toros in the offense with four total shots, one on target and two key passes. He distributed 48 total passes, six total cross and contributed two clearances.
RGV FC returns to H-E-B Park on Saturday, September 21. Kickoff will be at 7:30 p.m. CT. The match will be available on ESPN+ and Somos El Valle 5.2. The first 500 fans will receive a Toros travel mug sponsored by DHR Health.
Updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Scoring Summary: FRS - Lawal 6' (Assist by Chavez), Alihodzic 30' (PK), Chavez 44' (Assist by Jackson), Chavez 61' (Assist by Alihodzic), Lawal 63'.
Misconduct Summary: RGV FC - Donovan 28' YC.
FRS - Lawal 69' YC.
FRS - Cochran, Ellis-Hayden (Johnson 65'), Del Campo, Cooper, Martin, Daly, Jackson (Casillas 52'), Kurimoto, Alihodzic, Chavez, Lawal (Chaney 75').
Subs: Strong, Bustamante, Howard, Caffa.
Stats: Shots: 17 Shots on Goal: 7 Saves: 4 Fouls: 18 Corner Kicks: 6 Offsides: 6.
RGV FC - Corti, Junqua, Jackson, Donovan, Castellanos, Cabrera (Salazar 45'), Beckford (Enriquez 58'), Bird, Martinez, Rodriguez, Small (Adams 67').
Subs: Mena, Dunwell, Willis, Lemoine.
Stats: Shots: 13 Shots on Goal: 4 Saves: 2 Fouls: 12 Corner Kicks: 3 Offsides: 4.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 19, 2019
- Match Preview at Austin Bold FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Faces Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC with Playoff Seeding on the Line - Nashville SC
- Tacoma Defiance Defender Denso Ulysse Called into Haitian U-23 National Team - Tacoma Defiance
- Loudoun United Fall to Bethlehem Steel 5-2 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Portland Timbers 2 - September 20, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face LA Galaxy II as Playoff Push Continues - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Indy Eleven - Friday, September 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Eastern Conference Showdown as New York Comes to LouCity - Louisville City FC
- Orange County SC Signs U.S. U17 International Bryang Kayo - Orange County SC
- Battery Sign College of Charleston Defender Temi Adesodun - Charleston Battery
- STLFC Academy Kyle Genenbacher Called into USMNT U16 Talent ID Camp - Saint Louis FC
- Steel battle back from a one-goal deficit, twice, to beat Loudoun United FC - Philadelphia Union II
- Los Zorros Thrash Toros, 5-0, for Largest Win in Club History - Fresno FC
- Toros Fall 5-0 to Strong Fresno FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- STLFC Wins Fifth in a Row with 2-0 Win over New York Red Bulls II - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- Kibato Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Toros Fans Bring the Energy as RGV FC Defeat OKC 4-2 at Home
- Preview: RGV FC Hosts Breast Cancer Awareness Match on Saturday Night against the Energy
- Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold
- RGV FC Hosts Austin Bold for a Midweek Match