San Antonio FC Defeats New Mexico United 3-0 in Front of National Television Audience
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (4-3-6) earned their second straight victory on ESPN2, defeating New Mexico United (6-6-2) 3-0 at Toyota Field on Wednesday evening. SAFC were led by another two goals from forward Nathan to go with two assists and a goal from SAFC Pro Academy product Jose Gallegos in the win.
"We were performing in recent matches and we weren't executing, "said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "We didn't deny that. We have to be held accountable and we weren't executing. Since the friendlies against top Liga MX teams, we were not only performing but also executing. We earned the three points against an excellent New Mexico team tonight."
The match got underway under the watchful eyes of league executives and owners who were in town for the USL Midseason Meetings in the Alamo City this week. The executives along with the fans at Toyota Field watched San Antonio FC open the scoring in the 35th minute after Gallegos sprinted to the end line and crossed to Nathan who had an easy tap in for the finish. SAFC would hold the lead into the halftime break, looking to earn their second straight win on national television after beating Colorado Springs last Saturday.
SAFC started the second half brightly and doubled the lead the same way they took it. Gallegos played a magnificent through ball to Nathan who took one touch past the keeper and poked the ball home, marking the second time the two players connected in the game. New Mexico pressured the home side to try and get a foothold back in the game, but San Antonio would seal the victory after Cam Lindley found Gallegos in the box before the San Antonio native dribbled passed three defenders and fired the ball into the net for the third goal.
With the win, SAFC is now 1-1-0 against New Mexico after falling on the road earlier this season. The Alamo City club is now 2-0-0 against United at Toyota Field, outscoring their opponents 8-0 in those two matches. In addition, SAFC defender Connor Maloney made his season debut, playing 11 minutes after missing the first 12 matches due to injury.
SAFC will return to Toyota Field next Wednesday July 28 against Mountain Division rivals El Paso Locomotive FC. The match kicks off at 7:30 p.m. and will be the first time the two have met in 2021.
SAFC: 1-0, Nathan (Jose Gallegos assist) 35'
SAFC: 2-0, Nathan (Jose Gallegos assist) 63'
SAFC: Jose Gallegos (Cam Lindley assist) 90'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Emil Cuello) 68'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Liam Doyle) 73'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Chris Lema, Mathieu Deplagne, Jasser Khmiri, Sam Gleadle; M: PC (c) (Mohammed Abu 17'), Cam Lindley, Marcus Epps, Emil Cuello (Connor Maloney 79'), Jose Gallegos; F: Nathan (Justin Dhillon 79')
Substitutions not used: Carlos Mercado, Joaquin Varela, Leo Torres
SAFC earned its second consecutive win, gibing them back-to-back wins for the first time in 2021...SAFC is now 3-1-3 at home this season
With the win, SAFC improved to 2-0-0 against New Mexico at Toyota Field, outscoring them 8-0 in those two matches...in both of those wins, an SAFC player recorded a brace with Cristian Parano turning the trick in 2019 before Nathan scored two tonight
SAFC midfielder Jose Gallegos was named the SWBC Man of the Match after he scored a goal and recorded two assists in the 3-0 win...the goal and assists are the first for Gallegos this season...the San Antonio native also added three key passes, three shots, 14 duels and five successful dribbles
SAFC forward Nathan scored two goals on the night and his fourth in the last two matches...now ranks second on the team with four goals...also added four shots and an 84.6% passing accuracy
SAFC midfielder Cam Lindley recorded his second assist on the season to go with a team-high four key passes...his 31 key passes rank first on the team and second in the USL Championship
SAFC defender Connor Maloney made his season debut, coming on in the 79th minute...Maloney missed the first 12 matches due to injury
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 21, 2021
- San Antonio FC Defeats New Mexico United 3-0 in Front of National Television Audience - San Antonio FC
- Tacoma Defiance Signs Defender Cody Baker - Tacoma Defiance
- 3 Things: #NYvPIT - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Diego Loyal Signs 26-Year-Old Midfielder Jack Blake to Extension - San Diego Loyal
- Watling, Stead Unavailable Saturday - Hartford Athletic
- James Murphy to Launch "The SP Edition" NFT Collection - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Lights FC Announces Taco Tuesday Super Deal - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Around the Leagues: Crazy Happenings Highlight Eventful Week for the Beautiful Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- ECNL, RDA East Sides Close Year at US Club Soccer National Cup - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Danny Griffin Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- FC Tulsa's Match on Saturday Night at Memphis to Air Locally on FOX23 - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 at Home to El Paso Locomotive FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. ELP
- San Antonio FC Defeats New Mexico United 3-0 in Front of National Television Audience
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Mohammed Abu
- San Antonio FC Earns First Road Win of the Season, Defeating Switchbacks 3-2