San Antonio FC Advances to Third Round of Open Cup with 4-0 Win over Midland
MIDLAND, TX - San Antonio FC beat Midland-Odessa Sockers FC 4-0 in the second round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. The win marks the third time SAFC has won a match by a margin of four goals in franchise history, tying the club's biggest win. SFAC will now host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in the third round of the tournament on May 23 at Toyota Field at 7:30 p.m.
"I thought before the game it's always a challenge especially on the road against the NPSL finalists from last year," said SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell. "The players who wore the jersey tonight took their opportunities and played hard from start to finish. All in all, we are excited to advance in this historic competition."
SAFC opened the scoring in the 34th minute when defender Darnell King beat the Sockers' goalkeeper with a point-blank header following chaos inside the box. The goal marked King's first for the club since joining prior to the 2018 season. The Florida native currently leads the club in assists (three) in USL play.
Midfielder Mikey Lopez added to the Alamo City club's lead in the 87th minute when he buried a free kick from just outside the box to make it 2-0. The goal marked Lopez's third for the club in all competitions.
San Antonio native Maxi Rodriguez added a third goal in stoppage time, capitalizing off a pass from midfielder Omar Gordon. The goal also marked Rodriguez's first for the club since joining prior to the 2017 USL campaign. Gordon then capped off the night for SAFC after launching a one-man counter attack up the middle of the field, which he concluded by slotting the ball past the Midland keeper to make it 4-0.
The win tied the club's biggest victory in franchise history in all competitions. SAFC previously achieved the feat when it beat Reno 1868 FC at Toyota Field on April 15, 2017, and again when the club earned a 4-0 win at Portland Timbers 2 on April 28, 2017.
SAFC will now host its third-round match against the Switchbacks after the USL side defeated FC Denver on Wednesday night.
The Alamo City club will return to action in just three days as it hosts Tulsa Roughnecks FC at Toyota Field on Saturday, May 19 during Military Appreciation Night, presented by Toyota.
SAFC: 1-0, Darnell King 33'
SAFC: 2-0, Mikey Lopez 87'
SAFC: 3-0, Maxi Rodriguez (Omar Gordon assist) 90'
SAFC: 4-0, Omar Gordon 90'
Sockers FC: Yellow Card (Peter Dominguez 45')
SAFC: Yellow Card (Chris Christian 76')
Sockers FC: Yellow Card (Xavi Lao 82')
SAFC: Yellow Card (Jose Escalante 88')
SAFC: Yellow Card (Greg Cochrane 90')
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matt Cardone; D: Cyprian Hedrick (Ryan Felix 82'), Stephen McCarthy (c), Chris Christian, Mike Seth; M: Gianluca Cuomo, Mikey Lopez, Maxi Rodriguez, Darnell King (Greg Cochrane 72', Jose Escalante; F: Kyle Murphy (Omar Gordon 66')
Substitutions Not Used: Lee Johnston, Ethan Bryant
San Antonio FC earned their fourth Open Cup win in team history with the 4-0 victory over the Midland Sockers...SAFC advances to the third round for the third straight season...will host just the second SAFC home Open Cup match on May 23
The 4-0 win ties the biggest win in San Antonio FC history in all competitions...San Antonio also defeated Reno 1868 FC 4-0 on 4/15/17 and Portland Timbers 2 4-0 on 4/28/17...marks the biggest win in Open Cup history for the club (previously 5/18/16 vs. Corinthians FCSA - W, 3-1)
San Antonio FC defender Darnell King, who started in midfield tonight, opened his SAFC account, scoring the first goal of the game...marks the eighth professional goal scored by King is his career
Mikey Lopez scored his third goal for the club in all competitions, which currently leads the team...the goal came in Lopez's first start since March 31 at LA Galaxy II
SAFC midfielder and San Antonio native Maxi Rodriguez scored his first professional goal...teammate Omar Gordon provided the assist before scoring his first Open Cup goal and second goal for SAFC in all competitions since joining the club midseason in 2017
SAFC goalkeeper Matt Cardone made his first appearance for the club since exiting due to injury on 4/22/17 at Whitecaps FC 2...Cardone kept his eighth clean sheet overall for San Antonio, making five saves
SAFC players Cyprian Hedrick, Stephen McCarthy, Matt Cardone and Gianluca Cuomo made their season debuts at Midland tonight...both midfielder Ethan Bryant and goalkeeper Lee Johnston made their first game-day squads of the season, but did not enter the match
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from May 16, 2018
- Orange & Blue advance to third round after potting three goals in extra time - FC Cincinnati
- San Antonio FC Advances to Third Round of Open Cup with 4-0 Win over Midland - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Advance to Third Round of U.S. Open Cup - Sacramento Republic FC
- Atlanta United 2 Outlasts Toronto FC II in 5-4 Win - Atlanta United 2
- STLFC Wins 2-0 over Duluth FC to Advance in U.S. Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Roughs up Long Island in Explosive Open Cup Victory - Louisville City FC
- Battery Tops Tormenta To Advance In The Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- North Carolina FC Passes Early Open Cup Test with 3-0 Victory over Lansdowne Bhoys FC - North Carolina FC
- Hounds Defeat Erie in Open Cup Second Round, 2-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Earns Shutout of Rival Red Bulls II - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Match Day: Us Open Cup- Fresno FC vs. Orange County FC - May 16, 2018 at Lamonica Stadium - Fresno FC
- U.S. Open Cup Preview: Saint Louis FC vs. Duluth FC - Saint Louis FC
- San Antonio FC Visits Midland-Odessa Sockers FC in First Match of U.S. Open Cup Run - San Antonio FC
- USL Discipline Report - Week 10 - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Assistant Coach Andy Thomson Leaves Technical Staff
- San Antonio FC Announces 2018-19 SAFC Pro Academy Staff
- San Antonio FC Falls to Portland Timbers 2 on the Road
- San Antonio FC Looks to Record Season Sweep over Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Four-Game Winning Streak Comes to An End After 3-2 Loss to Seattle