Republic FC Advance to Third Round of U.S. Open Cup
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC advanced to the Third Round of the 2018 Lamar Hunt Open after defeating San Francisco City F.C. 3-1 on Wednesday night.
Keven Aleman opened the scoring after taking advantage of a loose ball in the San Francisco box to slot home and put Republic FC up 1-0 in the 24th minute.
The visitors equalized minutes alter after Elliott Hord, making his first competitive start this year, was left in a two-on-one defensive position. San Francisco's Robert Hines received the ball on the left wing and sent a cross into the box that Aaron Lombardi volleyed past Rafael Diaz to put things square at 1-1 in the 31st minute.
SFCFC then tested Diaz with five to play in the half after Matthew Hurlow-Paonessa fired a low, powerful shot that forced a diving save from the Dominican keeper. The two sides entered halftime tied at 1-1.
Villayan Bijev, coming on as a second-half substitute, restored Republic FC's lead in the 61st minute after Mitchell Taintor sent a ball into the box from the left wing for Bijev to strike past the SFCFC keeper.
Adam Moffat then extended Sacramento's lead after Bijev intercepted a backward pass from the City defense in the 68th minute. Bijev's one-on-one shot was blocked by the keeper, but he recovered the rebound and sent a sliding ball back toward goal that was deflected into Moffat's path. The Scotsman didn't hesitate and slotted home to make it 3-0.
The win advances Republic FC to the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup where they will play the winner of Reno 1868 FC and Portland Timbers U-23.
Sacramento Republic FC 3-1 San Francisco City FC
Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match
Hornet Soccer Field - Sacramento, CA
May 16, 2018
Sacramento Republic FC - Rafael Diaz, Elliott Hord (Josh Turnley 46), Cole Seiler, Mitchell Taintor, Shannon Gomez, Adam Moffat, Jaime Villarreal, Keven Alemán (Villyan Bijev 46), Christian Eissele, Luis Espino, Roberto Hategan (Cameron Iwasa 62).
Subs Not Used: Josh Cohen, Carlos Rodriguez, Wilson Kneeshaw, Jeremy Hall.
Stats: Shots: 15, Saves: 4, Corner Kicks: 5, Offsides: 7,
Images from this story
Sacramento Republic FC vs. San Francisco City F.C. in the US Open Cup
Sacramento Republic FC possesses the ball vs. San Francisco City F.C. in the US Open Cup
Sacramento Republic FC battles San Francisco City F.C. in the US Open Cup
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 16, 2018
- Orange & Blue advance to third round after potting three goals in extra time - FC Cincinnati
- San Antonio FC Advances to Third Round of Open Cup with 4-0 Win over Midland - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Advance to Third Round of U.S. Open Cup - Sacramento Republic FC
- Atlanta United 2 Outlasts Toronto FC II in 5-4 Win - Atlanta United 2
- STLFC Wins 2-0 over Duluth FC to Advance in U.S. Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Roughs up Long Island in Explosive Open Cup Victory - Louisville City FC
- Battery Tops Tormenta To Advance In The Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- North Carolina FC Passes Early Open Cup Test with 3-0 Victory over Lansdowne Bhoys FC - North Carolina FC
- Hounds Defeat Erie in Open Cup Second Round, 2-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Earns Shutout of Rival Red Bulls II - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Match Day: Us Open Cup- Fresno FC vs. Orange County FC - May 16, 2018 at Lamonica Stadium - Fresno FC
- U.S. Open Cup Preview: Saint Louis FC vs. Duluth FC - Saint Louis FC
- San Antonio FC Visits Midland-Odessa Sockers FC in First Match of U.S. Open Cup Run - San Antonio FC
- USL Discipline Report - Week 10 - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.